Chapter 7

At first all Xie Lian can do is stare at Hong'er, at Wu Ming, at San Lang, at Hua Cheng.

At the Ghost King so powerful that he makes the heavens tremble who kneels unashamed at Xie Lian's feet and offers him seemingly endless devotion.

At the boy and the soldier and the ghost fire who has returned his side over and over again, not letting even death stands between them.

At the man who has seen Xie Lian's worst moments and his darkness and his foolishness, his disgrace and his cruelty, and yet somehow, impossibly, seems to still want to be by his side.

It's all too much for Xie Lian to wrap his mind around, no, more than that, it's all too impossible for him to believe in. No one who reaches Hua Cheng's level of power would ever want someone like him. No one could ever be able to know those things about him and still want to be beside him. No one has ever stayed before.

No one...

No one...

And yet...

And yet here San Lang is, and it seems like he's always been there in some way and, and...

"San Lang..." Xie Lian drops to his knees so that he can throw his arms around the ghost king and he feels tears in his eyes but they're good tears and he's not quite sure if his voice is shaking from sobs or from laughter. "San Lang, I told you not to kneel to me."

Strong comforting arms wrap around Xie Lian as though to protect him from the world and when Hua Cheng speaks Xie Lian can hear the same tangle of emotions in his voice too.

"Sorry Gege, I won't disobey again. I promise"

"San Lang..." Xie Lian thought he was already feeling every emotion he could feel but now somehow he finds there is room for fond exasperation too. He presses his forehead to Hua Cheng's and the feeling of that contact calms something deep within him, even as it brings warmth flooding into his cheeks. He tries to ignore that particular sensation as he stares into Wu Ming's dark beautiful eye and lets himself really take in the fact that he's here, really here. His next words leaves his lips on a soft breath, words meant for Hua Cheng alone.

"I've missed you..."

"Your Highness..." Hua Cheng's voice is quiet and a bit hoarse. "I've missed you too..."

Mu Qing clears his throat loudly. "Xie Lian, what the fuck?"

At the same time Feng Xin asks, "Your Highness, what are you doing?" He sounds utterly unnerved.

"Shhh, can't you see they're having a moment?" Shi Qingxuan chimes in.

"Yes, leave them be. This is way too interesting to interrupt." Pei Ming sounds like he is enjoying the whole situation far too much.

Xie Lian has been so focused on Hua Cheng that he has forgotten completely about their audience. Now at this abrupt reminder his entire face turns red and he isn't quite sure if he wants to pull away from Hua Cheng or bury his face in the ghost Kings shoulder and never come out again.

Fortunately Hua Cheng makes the decision for him by raising his head to smile coolly at the surrounding gods before getting to his feet and pulling Xie Lian up with him, one arm remaining tight around the god's waist.

"I think it's time for you all to leave my city."

"Let me guess, you think we're just going to leave His Highness here with you?" Mu Qing demand scathingly.

"You think we're just going to let you keep him here?" Feng Xin adds, hand again resting on the hilt of his sword.

Hua Cheng stares them both down, his lips curving more dangerously. "His Highness is welcome to come and go as he sees fit but I want the rest of you heavenly trash out of my territory. Now."