forty.

a/n: HUGE HUGE HUGE SHOUTOUT TO SilverRose98 FOR THIS AMAZING JJ/BEXLEY VIDEO EDIT I LOVE IT SO MUCH 💕💕💕💕

tw: mentions of past abuse

"Rafe Cameron, you're free to go."

The sentence was unexpected and shocking, so much so that he didn't believe it at first. Rafe stood up off the bed in the jail cell. He frowned, watching as the police officer opened the cell door.

He blinked, not moving, trying his best to process what he heard. "...What?"

"Looks like your dad took the wrap," the officer told him. Holding the door open, he instructed, "You best get out of here now."

Rafe was hesitant. He stepped out of the cell, cautious. He walked slowly through the hallway, the officer leading from right behind him the entire time.

"My dad?" Rafe breathed. "Where-" He looked around as they exited the cell room. "Where is he?"

"Just head out," the officer snapped at him. "Go get your things at the front."

"Where's my father?" Rafe asked again.

The guard pushed him when he stopped walking, forcing him forward whether he wanted to go or not. Rafe got to the front of the station. It was hauntingly quiet. Every police officer stopped to look over as Rafe made his way towards the entrance. Their stairs were piercing.

The officer then grabbed his shoulder, forcing him to a stop at a desk before he officially exited the building. "Collect your items," he instructed with a gruff voice.

A different police officer behind the desk opened a small locked container. He took out the things Rafe had on him when he was detained.

A lighter. A phone. Some cash. A watch. A hat. A ring.

The officer behind the desk dumped the bag of items carelessly on the table, glaring at Rafe as took his things.

But Rafe paused, glancing up. "...Where's the frog?"

The officer narrowed his eyes. "The what?"

Rafe swallowed and said, louder, "The stuffed animal. I had it when I came."

The officer looked in the locked bin. Then, he glanced down at the trash can, before reaching in and pulling out the mangled green fabric. It was so caked with dirt and mud and leaves from Rafe's chase, it was barely recognizable.

"This thing?"

Rafe snatched it, shoving it in his pocket.

"Come on," said the first officer, shoving him forward again, intent on getting him out of there.

Confusion still coursed through him. "Where's Shoupe?"

The officer just gave a fast, "Taking care of your father's mess."