05.

CHAPTER FIVE

ROWAN HART

In a couple of months it will be almost a full year of me living in Massachusetts and I've yet to get a job. Not sure what that says about me, but none of them have really interested me until now- where I just came across an old, almost battered down library a couple blocks away from campus.

I was just driving around aimlessly when I saw the 'HELP WANTED' sign. It's almost like it was calling for me in a way. I mean, I do enjoy reading frequently and I love spending my time in a library overall. My favorite pastime is getting a cup of hot coffee from my favorite cafe and having music blasting in my ears while I study for any exams or do my schoolwork. I'm not someone who is completely fond of school, but I don't entirely hate it either.

I park my car in the designated parking lot before making my way towards the main entrance. The door is wooden and old, confirming my thoughts of this library being here for many generations prior.

As soon as I walk inside I'm immediately hit with the smell of worn down paperbacks. It sounds weird, I know, but that's the only way to really describe it.

The front desk is deserted so I take the time to wander around, falling in love with the place almost instantly. There's a second floor that overlooks the first one, the design being an overhead one. Although there are countless bookshelves that border the walls, there's also multiple study nooks. I'm guessing college students come here often.

The first floor is almost entirely the same except the shelves are in row forms, tables only sitting in the center of the room. The floor is carpeted, only adding on to the homey feel. Everything in here is pretty much built out of wood. The railing, the stairs, the shelves.. I could go on.

I don't realize how long I've spent admiring the place until a hand is placed on my shoulder. I jump out of my skin on instinct but relax almost immediately when I feel how soft their touch is. I turn around to find a girl around my age looking up at me with a questioning gaze. There's a blue lanyard sitting around her neck with a photo card at the bottom.

"Do you need help with anything?" She asks me with soft eyes, the prettiest shade of green I've ever seen looking into my deep colored ones. Her skin is a rich type of brown and braids hang down from her shoulder and over her back.

I scratch the back of my neck, suddenly embarrassed over the fact that I was caught in a trance. "Erm- yeah." I manage to choke out. "I saw the help wanted sign outside and was wondering if you were still hiring?" I offer, hoping I'm not completely blowing this away with my awkwardness.

Her eyes light up with a specific type of joy and she claps her hands together, a wide smile overtaking her face. "God- yes! I've been dying to work with someone around my age. It's all old people here. Do you attend BU?" She asks me, a hopeful gleam shining in her eye.

I've got a feeling I'm about to make someone's day, and if that doesn't cause a smile of my own.

I nod my head as an answer. "Yeah, I'm a junior. My name's Rowan." I put out my hand to shake and she takes it without an ounce of hesitation.

"Pretty name." The girl says with a wide toothed grin. "My name is Aliyah but you can m call me Lia. Either one works. I'm a senior currently."

My smile grows tenfold. "You as well. How long have you been working here for?"

Lia starts walking towards the front desk, silently signing for me to follow. "Since about sophomore year. I didn't want to get a job freshman year due to adjustment already being difficult."

Off the Ice | ONGOINGजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें