Chapter Three

A couple of weeks after the incident a murder happened. It was Pastor Jacobs. The old pastor at the Clearview Christian Church a few kids attended. Everyone wrote it off as God's revenge for him harassing, both sexually and physically, teens.

"What happened?" Carson asked her mother after she saw the news segment. It beat around the bush too much for her to understand.

"Pastor Jacobs was murdered." Kendra said flatly, she wasn't religious either. "They said he was bound and stabbed, slit his throat. Then the creep put lilac flowers all around his body. It's very poetic."

Carson nodded. "What are the police doing?"

"Nothing. No one liked him."

Carson let out a short laugh. "True, but he was still murdered."

Kendra shrugged and went to answer the knocking at the door.

"Lila! What a nice surprise!" Carson could hear her mother saying in the doorway.

She appeared in front of Carson and looked like she just ran a mile, along with Dalton.

"You don't live that far from us." Lila smiled and sat on the couch next to Carson.

"I know that, silly. What'd you guys do run here?" She laughed.

"No, I was playing with your neighbor's dog. Speaking of, where's your dog at?" She looked around for Luca.

"He's out back." She pointed to the door. "Actually, Dalton, can you let him in please."

Dalton nodded and walked over to the door.

"So you met Butter? Isn't she sweet."

"So sweet! But, Luca is my favorite." She called him over and he laid on her lap.

Carson smiled at Dalton and Lila as he sat next to his sister. She finally felt like something in her life was perfect, and it was all because of her amazing new friends, and hopefully girlfriend.

"So," Lila and her started at the same time. "Go ahead." Lila laughed.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to spend the night tonight. It's just my mom is working the late shift and I don't want to be alone, you know." She laughed awkwardly.

"I get it. And with what's happening, I wouldn't want you to be an easy target." Lila laid her head on Carson's shoulder. "I will have to go home and get some things first, is that okay. And we could go out with Dalton and Ryen for dinner."

Dalton nodded in agreement. "We could all spend the night here, I can ask Ryen right now."

"That would be amazing. Thank you guys." Carson stood up to hug her friends.

Around 8 o'clock everyone was gathered at Ryen's favorite sushi place and she was ordering for the table while the others talked about everything but the murder. Carson watched as Ryen took a bite of her california roll and passed it to Dalton.

"I thought you guys like sushi." She pouted.

"We love it," He assured her. "But I haven't had this kind before."

She seemed to understand and continued to push more kinds onto Dalton and Lila. Everyone was in a good mood and the murder seemed to be forgotten.

That was until someone ran into the restaurant. It was the farmer's son, and Carson recognized him instantly. She didn't want to ask him what he was doing, and she didn't have to. Her friends knew immediately that it wasn't good and tried to get Carson out of there. She had been around death too many times for it to happen to her again. But, Carson was tough, and since she wanted to stay, they stayed.

"My son is dead." He screamed at them all.

"Carter." Carson gasped the tears welling in her eyes.

Despite his poor choice in friends he was always kind to Ryen and Carson. Even when no one else was. Ryen had a different reaction, Carson noticed, she seemed to think he deserved it. Maybe Ryen was as bad as they made her out to be.

Stop that, She scolded herself, You sound crazy. Besides, Ryen was right here with you.

"He was murdered just like the Pastor. His throat and wrists slit. He was covered in lilacs. My boy is gone." Carson swore his eyes went straight to Ryen.

"What the hell is wrong with people?" Lila asked.

Carson shrugged. "We can't leave though. It makes us look suspicious. Eat slower."

They all took their time eating and soon they were on their way to Carson's house.

Once they were in the house Carson went to shower leaving the others to sit and talk. They turned on the TV and put on some Disney movies. No one wanted to see what the news was saying.

"Are the police doing anything about this one?" Carson asked, towel drying her hair.

Everyone shrugged and watched as the princess on screen danced with the forest creatures.

"Well, whoever else is showering can go." Carson sat down next to Lila as Ryen got up.

Everyone was silent for the rest of the night. No one was able to fall asleep, instead they sat on the couch doing everything but talking. Carson wanted to break the silence, but it was so comfortable.

Around 1:30 Carson woke up. She didn't remember falling asleep, but she had. She looked at her friends and grabbed her phone. She checked the time again and messaged someone at the police department. If they weren't going to look into this, she was.