Chapter Four

"Oh my God." Lila moaned as she stretched off the couch.

"I second that." Ryen said from the floor.

Dalton and Carson were still asleep.

The two girls didn't bother to say anything, instead they sat side by side and looked at their phone screens. That was until Carson woke up. She was surprised to see Lila and Ryen sitting on the floor and not saying a word.

"Morning angel." Lila said to Carson.

"Hi," She answered distractedly. "What time is..."

Just then Carson noticed the response from the police department. She scanned the message and was pleased to see that they were going to let her help with the investigation.

"What are you looking at?" Ryen asked from the floor.

"Nothing." Carson shrugged. She wasn't entirely convinced of Ryen's innocence.

She shook the thought from her head when she saw Ryen laughing with Lila at Dalton's expense. Carson went to join her friends in the Dalton slander.

"Wanna go to CandyLand tonight?" Lila asked her.

Carson nodded and smiled at her. She wondered again what it would be like to date Lila. How it would feel to call her girlfriend. Was she the clingy type? Was Carson? It had been so long since Emmalee that she didn't know how to date someone anymore. What if she messed it up?

As if reading her thoughts Lila put her icy hand over top of Carsons. She seemed to be saying Don't worry, I'm here.

Carson gave a tight smile to Lila and they watched Ryen tickle Dalton to wake him up.

"Oh my God, Ryen." Dalton laughed and pulled her on top of him. "I'm up now, come cuddle me."

Both Lila and Carson looked away, giving them their privacy. Carson wished again for that to be her and Lila.

"You know," Lila mumbled into Carson's ear. "I want to date you just as bad as you want to date me."

Carson blushed at her words. "Then date me."

"Carson Zaine, will you be my girlfriend?" Lila asked, staring into Carson's brown eyes.

Carson was staring back searching for a hint of deception. Nothing good ever happens to her, why would this be any different.

"Yes." She said when she couldn't find anything.

Both girls smiled at each other and curled up on the couch, right next to Ryen and Dalton.

Dalton smiled at his sister, and for a minute everything felt right. No matter what happened in the world, this group of friends would always be together.

"CandyLand tonight?" Ryen asked Dalton.

He nodded and kissed her. Leaving Lila and Carson to look away awkwardly, again. Lila looked at Carson and made a gagging gesture that cracked them up.

After Carson's mom went to sleep, she snuck out and threw pebbles at Thomas' window. When he finally opened it she waved him down.

"Come to CandyLand with Ryen, Dalton, Lila, and I." Carson whisper-shouted.

Thomas sighed and climbed out of his window and into the grass.

"Just know, I am only doing this because I want to tear up the skatepark." He laughed and got into her truck. "And, I want to see the lovely Lila."

Carson ignored the way that Thomas subtly flirted with her girlfriend and focused on driving. She saw the old building and sighed. She was already tired and she still had to go down to the station to get all of the information on the two murders.