Chapter Seven

Carson's phone was blowing up all throughout the night, but the one that caught her eye was a message from the police station. Carson rubbed the sleep from her eyes and looked at what he had said to her. Carson was sick to her stomach when she saw that Jamie Lynn was the most recent victim. She saw that Detective Lynn was informed and mourning the loss of his only child.

Carson stared at the message and thought about the Lilac Killer, once she found out who they were, she vowed to make them pay for ruining families lives. She couldn't believe that someone here would kill this tight-knit community.

"Poor Jamie," Carson saw Emmalee fake pouting with Gunner. "She didn't deserve that. Wanna run to the music room?"

"Screw off, Emmalee. I lost my best friend. And even if I wasn't grieving I wouldn't want to do anything with you." Gunner pushed her away and stormed off to Atticus, but he saw Carson and veered her way. "So..."

"So..." Carson rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet. "I'm sorry for your loss, Gunner."

"She was your friend too," He pointed out. "Can you let Ryen know I'm sorry for acting the way I did and doing what I did. I only did it because I'm like her. I'm a nerd, I didn't want Jamie to find out and hate me forever. I just feel so bad."

"Tell her yourself," Carson said, pointing to Ryen and Lila. "I'm sure it'll seem more genuine that way."

Gunner walked towards them and Carson watched Ryen and Lila's faces. Ryen seemed upset as he was coming over, but slowly the more he talked the more her face softened and she let her old friend back into her life. It was beautiful and Carson was glad she was a part of that. Until Emmalee came over that is.

"I'm going to sleep with Dalton because you're cheating on him with Gunner anyways!" Carson heard Emmalee say. She didn't think before she ran towards her and tackled her to the ground.

"Don't talk to her like that!" Carson screamed. "You don't have any right!"

Emmalee pushed Carson to the ground and faced the crowded cafeteria.

"I didn't rape Carson Zaine. We had consensual sex in an abandoned classroom. She enjoyed it and was screaming for me to do it again. But she saw her stupid girlfriend or whatever and decided to make me the bad guy. She doesn't take responsibility for her actions. Everyone needs to hate her, not me."

Lila's face flashed a look of hurt for a second, but it was gone as quickly as they saw it, in its place was raw anger.

"I- Lila, I can explain." Carson stammered.

"Shut up." She said coldly, as she stormed out of the cafeteria and into the bathroom.

Ryen followed her, leaving Carson completely alone.

"I can not believe you would lie about that," She heard Gunner say. "You got mad that Em cheated, and you went and cheated with her. Ryen and Lila don't deserve you."

Carson allowed herself to cry as she felt everyone judge her, she felt a thousand eyes burning into her skin and she slowly composed herself.

She walked into her last class and was shocked to see Detective Lynn there.

"Miss Zaine," He said. "We need to talk."

Carson kept her head down and followed him into the empty classroom, that just the other day she cheated on Lila in.

"I think we have a lead on who the Lilac Killer is," She could see the salty tears still on his face. "They left another note and I think it's a clue."

Too little too late. How does it feel to lose the one thing you loved? Now you all know how I feel. I can't believe they could do something like this, so I went and did something worse. Good luck trying to catch me. I'm all alone, but not who you would expect.