Walk with me

Author's PoV:

“Thank you,” Feiha smiled at the shopkeeper as he handed her the groceries that she had come out to buy.

She turned to leave but stopped when she heard her name being called.

“Take these,” the shopkeeper extended his fist and opened them to reveal four orange flavoured toffees. Feiha’s entire face brightened at the gesture and she thanked him again.

The old man only chuckled at her, his eyes disappearing as the wrinkles around them deepened due to the stretch of his lips. His name was Shabir and he had known Feiha since her childhood. She used to come running to his shop almost everyday to buy candies, followed by her father who only used to scold her playfully but pay for everything nonetheless.

He knew about Hamdan’s condition and he felt sorry for him and his family.

“I know you're an adult now but you can still visit this old man from time to time,” he joked,  “after all it won't be long before you leave when some prince charming comes and marries you.”

Feiha blushed at his comment, “There's still much time left for that.”

Feiha bid him goodbye and began to walk towards her home when she heard the meowing of a cat. She looked around to find the source and spotten a kitten leaning against a lamp post.

She inched closer to take a closer look and saw that the animal was moaning in pain. It was trying to walk but was failing. There was also a bit of blood on its face, suggesting that it had suffered from an injury.

“What happened to you, little one?” She cooed and bent down, keeping her grocery bags on the ground and kneeling in front of the kitten. “Let me take a look at you,” reaching out to hold it, she gasped in surprise when the creature suddenly moved its small limb, raising it in order to scare her. “I'm not gonna hurt you.”

The kitten made a move to run but failed, stumbling and falling on the ground with a soft thud.

Feiha watched two hands taking hold of the little being and gently lifting it up. She followed the movement and rose on her feet, and her lips parting when she recognised the person in front of her.

Ayan caressed the kitten and touched its limb that seemed broken.

“Is it yours?” Feiha questioned.

Ayan shook his head in negative, still busy in cuddling. “She's a stray.”

“Oh,” Feiha mouthed. Her gaze landed on his large hands and the veins that looked prominent at the backside of his palm. They travelled across his forearm and disappeared under the sleeve of his blue shirt. She couldn't help but notice how the kitten looked too small in his embrace.

Realising that she was staring, she averted her eyes to avoid embarrassment.

Get a grip, she scolded herself.

“She's wounded” Ayan observed, “she needs medical help.” He patted the kitten's head and the latter snuggled more into him. “I wish I could take her home but my sister in law is allergic to cats.”

“Then let me adopt her,” Feiha offered to which Ayan looked up. He studied her form and how the oversized green shirt that she had paired with blue jeans made her look extra cute. A black scarf was tied around her head, giving away a casual look. But what made him frown was the tone of her skin. She looked pale and fatigued.

Ayan wanted to ask her if she was okay but he didn't wish to come out as intrusive. Therefore, he let the curiosity drop. “Do you like cats?” He raised his eyebrows at her.

“Yes,” Feiha replied immediately.

He smiled at her. Her enthusiasm tugged at his heart, making her look adorable.

“Are you sure?”

Feiha opened her mouth to confirm but Ayan added, “I mean, you already have a lot on your plate?”

Sighing, she understood his concern. “I'll manage. Plus, it will be a distraction for my sister. She has been staying quiet lately,” she reasoned.

“Okay, if you insist,” Ayan let Feiha take the kitten from him. When her fingers brushed against his clothed arm, she felt her cheeks getting warmed up.

Ayan would have smirked at her reaction had he not been distracted by her nails. They didn't look normal. They looked extremely dry and brittle. He frowned but still didn't inquire about it.

Is she unwell?

“I'll take her to the vet in the evening. I just need to keep these bags at home,” Feiha gestured to the grocery.

Ayan picked them up, “Walk with me.” Feiha felt taken aback at that. His tone sounded soft yet commanding.

Clearing her throat, she began to stroll beside him, keeping a safe distance and stroking her new pet that was glued to her chest.

“Were you here for some work?” She tried to make small talk.

Ayan nodded, “Yeah, there's a kindergarten in the lane next to this, which you must be aware of.”

“Yeah,” Feiha agreed.

“My sister in law does voluntary work over there. She had forgotten some stuff at home which she needed urgently so I took it to her,” he explained.

“Oh, that's good.”

“Is your sister okay?”

Feiha stayed quiet for a few seconds before answering, “She is…trying. I talked to her the other night and told her to be strong. I mean, it's not like we have any other choice.”

“She's only sixteen. She deserves to be carefree and childish but this situation…it's tiring and unfair,” she shook her head as if showing how disappointed she was with her fate.

Ayan exhaled as he listened quietly. He felt sad for Feiha and helpless knowing that he could do nothing to make her pain go away. “She'll be fine,” he assured her, “and so will your father. Allah will take care of everything, believe me.”

The two of them reached Feiha's house and Ayan placed the bags near her doorstep. “Thanks for walking with me,” she then looked at the bags and flustered, “and for carrying my bags. You didn't have to do that though.”

“Are you trying to shoo me away?” He teased, and her eyes widened at his comment.

“What? No!” She panicked, thinking that she had offended him, “I'd never do that.”

Ayan laughed at her naivety, “Take care of the kitty and yourself,” he muttered, letting his orb linger on her innocent and beautiful face for a bit longer than necessary before turning away and leaving.

_________________________________________

Idk if you guys are finding this boring or you are dissatisfied with my writing style, but I am seeing not many comments under the chapters.

I need feedback, guys. I need to know your opinion on the characters and the plot.

Please try to leave comments.

Thanks.