A damaged doll

Trigger Warning: Mention of blood, menstruation, menorrhagia, and infertility that may cause discomfort to some readers.

Also, don't skip the author's note towards the end.

Author's PoV:

*Flashback*

Sixteen year old Feiha was seated inside the chamber of her gynaecologist, a middle aged anglo Indian man with great height and bony physique. He read the blood reports of the girl in front of him, frequently eyeing how she studied the room with curiosity.

Feiha had been experiencing irregular menstrual cycles for half a year and when she visited a physician, she was referred to Dr. Luca and got her blood tested to see if she had some issues with her hormones.

Dr. Luca kept the paper aside and looked at Feiha, his gaze soft and lips stretched in a straight line. “Miss Feiha,” he began, “your reports tell me that you have a deficiency of iron in your body.”

Feiha nodded, not knowing how else to respond. It was the first time she was visiting a doctor without being accompanied by her mother who had gone to Hania's school for some work.

“Am I supposed to take medicines, doctor?” Feiha hated medicines. She hated their taste, their smell and the feeling of being sick that was associated with them.

“Child,” the man dropped his gaze, “this is not…the deficiency is to a serious extent. You are diagnosed with Anemia.”

Feiha didn't know anything about that term, but the first fear that struck her mind was the probability of painful periods. She has already been experiencing a lot of aches during her last few cycles so she was now afraid that it would all increase.

“Will I have severe cramps, doctor?” Her childlike voice caused Dr. Luca to sigh. It was at moments like these that he hated his profession.

“Yes, you will have irregular menstrual cycles. I suppose you're already experiencing shortness of breath nowadays?”

What does that have to do with this? she thought.

“Yes, but it is only because I have been practising running for the sports day of my school,” Feiha tried to reason but Dr. Luca shook his head.

“No, child, it's because of the lack of Haemoglobin in you,” he told her as he felt like he was getting ready to strike the girl with a weapon. “You may experience fatigue and skin pallor,” he took a pause and inhaled sharply, “another thing that you'll have is anovulation.”

“What does that mean?” Her tone came out laced with worry and fright.

Dr. Luca’s throat contracted as he answered Feiha's question, “It means that your ovaries will most likely not release eggs during the ovulation period, which will further cause you difficulties in conceiving.”

                             ******

Feiha's PoV:

Pain rose from my uterus, inflicting agony in my entire lower body, and oozed out of my vagina– red, thick and angry. I was having my period after a gap of four months. It was my fourth day into the seven day torture and I had already used up three big packets of sanitary pads to soak the blood.

I was bleeding like I was about to die, surprised that I hadn't yet. Menorrhagia was not something new for me. I had been dealing with it for three years but every time it appeared in my life, it made sure that I walked through hell.

I carefully got up from my sleeping position and began to crawl to the end of the bed. My abdomen felt like someone had tied a mountain to it but I somehow ended up sitting, my feet touching the floor.