Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 26

Maddie

I should be spending my day off from work taking Izzy to the park or on another special outing, but instead, I'm babysitting her babysitter.

After Cameron was concerned about Nina crossing boundaries, I buckled down to ensure she didn't do or say anything out of line. It's a huge step to trust her with the ability to watch our daughter, and despite checking the cameras countless times while I'm at work, I'd feel better being here in person to inspect Nina while she cares for Izzy.

It's been difficult to find an entire day off when Carley is still in the hospital. She's been there for a week now, and between coloring with her in the afternoons and watching her favorite television shows, I've completely fallen in love with the young girl. I can see why the rest of the staff has grown attached. Maybe that's why I'm keeping my pager on while I'm home today. If anything goes wrong, I want to be there to help.

All afternoon, Nina has been the picture-perfect nanny. She understands Izzy's routine and knows what it takes to calm her down. My daughter has had a smile on her face since she woke up this morning, and even though she's young, I can tell she's already starting to look up to her.

What will happen if Nina officially makes a move on Cameron, and we have to fire her? All of the decisions we make no longer affect just us. We have to make decisions based on our family, and by letting Nina go, I'm stripping Izzy of a caretaker who she has clearly grown an attachment to.

After Nina puts Izzy down for her nap, I send a silent prayer to any god who will listen to keep this nanny on the straight and narrow. For Izzy's sake, we can't afford to lose her.

"She's asleep," Nina says when she reaches the bottom of the stairs. Her long brown hair is neatly braided behind her shoulders, and she's wearing leggings with an oversized t-shirt. She doesn't look like she's trying to capture the attention of my husband, but Nina could wear a paper bag and still carry the essence of a supermodel. "I was just about to do the laundry before I made some lunch. Did you want me to save you some?"

Laundry.

Laundry isn't part of her job description, and if I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what she was doing when she interrupted my husband right after his shower when he was only in a towel. Call me jealous, call me possessive, but I don't need her putting away my husband's briefs and knowing where his underwear drawer is.

"Don't worry about it." Shutting my laptop closed, I rise from the couch and give her a warm smile. "I'll get the laundry. Go ahead and make some lunch for yourself. I don't need any."

"Are you—"

Before she can finish her sentence, the sound of the front door opening interrupts us before Cameron strides into the living room seconds later. He was supposed to be working late tonight reviewing plays from their last game, so I'm happily surprised to see him. With both of our hectic schedules, we haven't had time alone together in days.

His eyes meet mine before they melt into a liquid heat that warms me from the top of my head down to my toes. I'm in a tank top and a pair of pajama shorts, but it's never taken much to turn my husband on. As long as my breasts are showing, he's a goner. I know him well enough.

"Thought you were working late?" My voice is breathless from his stare.

"Got out early," he replies, his feet rooted in the doorway.

In my peripheral, I see Nina shift her weight from one foot to another before she clears her throat and jerks her head to the kitchen. "I'm going to make a turkey sandwich back at the guest—I mean, my house. Do you want one, Cameron?"