XXI.

work song -hozier

work song -hozier

|

"The bodies that were hung on those trees weren't you guys' parents," Stefan explained to his friends.

Bonnie, Caroline, and Tyler were sitting in the dining table at some remote cabin an hour or two out of town. Standing off to the side was Jeremy and Alaric, who were leaned on the counters and listening closely.

And lastly, there was Elena who sat at the head of the table quietly. She looked horrified at the words Stefan was telling them.

"Alaric and I dug up the graves, they were just townies dressed like your parents. Natalia must have used some kind of spell to trick our minds." Stefan looked at Bonnie with sorrow. "She wasn't lying to you. Your dad is still alive."

"So are our moms," Tyler said, looking to Caroline.

Bonnie sighed, running a hand through her hair as she spoke. "Natalia showed me this crystal ball. She said she created a prison world to keep my father in, and that's likely where she keeps Sheriff Forbes and Carol Lockwood."

"But why go to the trouble?" Elena asked aloud. "Why didn't she kill them?"

"She likes to play mind games," Alaric reminded them all. "Just like at the party, when she practically possessed the whole town just to show that she could. She's cold, calculating, and doesn't do things rashly..." He leaned on the table besides Elena, jaw clenched. "...which makes her worse than Klaus. Klaus, you can at least expect one of his tantrums, but Natalia..."

They all looked at each other exasperated.

"She wants revenge for what happened to Kol." Stefan frowned to himself, "She wants Jeremy, to even the score. The best way to get Elena to break is to make her friends suffer, and by extension, her friend's families as collateral."

"So how do we stop her?" Caroline asked them.

That was a question they didn't know the answer to.

The white oak stake burned with Kol, now they had no weapon against the Original Family.

"The daggers," Elena said suddenly. "They don't work on Klaus because he's part werewolf...but Natalia's part witch. The daggers should work on her."

Everyone looked at one another.

"Klaus has them," Caroline spoke up. "So how do we—"

"I can get one." All eyes went to the doorway to Ellana.

|