Chapter Six

I'm an alligator

I'm a mama - papa comin' for you

I'm the space invader

The music floated through the air as Remus sorted through the notes on different variations of levitation charms piled messily on his bed, attempting - futility it seemed - to put them in some sense of order before meeting with the others. Truly they should have just gotten some blank notebooks and given each of the books a topic to stick with, but doing so now would be detrimental as they were in the stages of writing through the small problems, the bigger ones that this level of organization would have helped greatly with was already dealt with.

I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you

Keep your mouth shut

You're squawking like a pink monkey bird

And I'm bustin' up my brains for the words

The door to the boy's dorm opens with a huff and Remus stops singing along to see who the newcomer was. Today was another Hogsmead weekend, so everyone else should be out in the village, yet the countenance of Sirius Black was staring the other lion back in the face, gray eyes solemn in a way that Remus often found that Regulus's were. Today was Halloween, and later the Marauders were throwing a party with enough alcohol smuggled in from the Hog's Head to make even the Slytherins jealous, Remus knew that the Gryffindor had no business looking such a way.

Sirius walked in despondently and layed down on his bed without so much as an uttered word. A small, pathetic sigh escaped the other boy's lips.

"I can turn it off if you want," Remus offered, hand already reaching for the dial.

"No," the other lion said quickly. "Leave it."

"Okay," the wolf said with a voice much softer than he had used with the other teen in a long time, the awkwardness of the situation and the other boy's mood dulling his usually short tone.

Remus drew his hand away and went back to sorting through his papers, making a stack of what he would take with him and what he was fairly certain could be left behind, as an uncomfortable silence hung in the air between the pair, filled only by the ever present music.

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Put your ray gun to my head

Press your space face close to mine, love

Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah!

After not hearing the other boy move or make any noise at all for a long moment, Remus glanced up at the other bed and found Sirius's eyes already on him. The gray just a slightly wrong color for what the Gryffindor wanted to see. The dark hair lacking the curls that Remus sometimes thought of as he fell asleep.

"I ended things with Mary," Sirius said suddenly, and Remis couldn't truly find it in himself to be that surprised. A relationship could only last so long when one half of it was having to ask James to remind him of his own dates, and then both of the boys got so wrapped up in a new scheme that they each forgot anyways.

"Oh," Remus says dumbly as he stands, unsure of what to do and finding himself desperately wishing for James to come barging into their room with that perfect Potter timing that he always seems to have when it comes to Sirius.

He doesn't.

Don't fake it baby, lay the real thing on me

The church of man, love