Chapter One

I was late, so fucking late. I had agreed to meet the firefighters at the community pool at ten sharp and now I was running across the parking lot in my skimpiest of bikinis at 10:40. I was going to throttle Toby later, he had thrown a fit about going to school last night instead of joining me and I forgot to turn on the wash that had all my appropriate bathing suits in it covered in soap.
I was not about to cause a bubble bath in this pool so here I was, ass fully out and my boobs pushed to the forefront of everyone's eye sight. I really was going to fight Toby when he got home from school. My bag was flung over the shoulder and thankfully fully zipped this time, on my way out all my shit fell out and over the deck.

"Well that is a choice in swimwear." Chief William eyes me, confused by my barely clothed state. I didn't even have time to put on a cover up that was now shoved to the bottom of the bag.

He took in my heavy breathing and wide eyes and gave me a sympathetic look. "Toby?" He asks, well aware of how difficult the thirteen year old could be.

"He is an actual menace, I think he was fucking around with the dark arts and got possessed by a demon. I don't know how to fix that, how does one undemonfy a child? I've watched some of Supernatural but I never paid attention to the actual plot, I was just watching Dean." I was rambling between heavy breaths and he just let me.

"There's only one way to fix Toby." Williams tells me.

"Well give me the answer man, one more morning like this and I am turning to mind control." I'd thought about it a couple times and every time it became a more tempting choice.

"Get yourself a time machine and skip ahead to when he's an adult, probably around 28." He laughed at the dead look in my eyes. I was going to throttle him right along with the boy.

"I'm starting to think it's genetic." I huffed, shoving my bag at his chest. He always held them for me anyway, still ever the gentleman at sixty five.

    We start walking into the community center and I can already hear the voices of his guys. "They aren't too mad at me for being late, right?"

    "No, the lifeguards have just been going over a few basics. The suit is probably going to fix any iration that might be there too." I looked down again at the bikini I usually only wore with friends or tanning and couldn't help but blush, this was going to be a long morning.

    "Where'd you get it anyway, might pick Margie one up on the way home." I slapped his arm at the comment, Margie is his wife of forty years and he was still as in love and lust with her as the day they met. I'd grown up watching the way they loved each other and knew I would never settle for anything less.

    Though it still didn't mean I wanted to hear about that specific topic when I looked at the two of them like my second parents and the only example of a healthy relationship I had. My own parents split when I was in middle school due to the fact my dad thought my mom was a raging bitch and my mom thought my dad was a piece of wasted space, or at least that's what they would yell at each other almost every day while I tried to do my homework.
    I could not look at multiplication without feeling a weird urge to cover my ears and hide in a closet but that was probably something to keep buried until I talked to a therapist. Anyways my life became a lot better when they split and got homes on the opposite side of town from one another. It was even better when at eighteen I moved in with my best friend and didn't have to handle their horrific failure of coparenting.

    "I am not going to tell you because that is gross. I don't walk around making slight comments about my sex life, how would you feel if I did that?" Chief shook in disgust at the thought of it, I'd won.

    "Yeah, let's move on. During the basics we discovered the new guy has no ability to swim besides not drowning, even that is slightly questionable." I raised my eyebrows in surprise. We lived in a beach town on the east coast of Florida, knowing how to swim was a necessity for survival here. She knew some people still didn't, but a firefighter was crazy.