Chapter 3: Jacket Over Hoodie Over Shirt

"I'm sorry. I have to go. It was wonderful to talk to you, Shinonome-kun, I- uh, I hope we see each other again soon," he stated hurriedly, adding another "Sorry."

Before Akito had a chance to say his goodbyes back, Toya had already left.

The sun had set.

~~~~~

Keys jingled in the lock to Akito's rundown apartment. It clicked and he walked inside, the door shutting harder than he originally meant, and he leaned his back against it. He felt like his thoughts were going a million miles a second but they were all so incredibly incoherent that he couldn't pin point what they were about.

He really was tired.

His phone buzzed in his pocket, the vibration reverberating against the wood on his back. Without really thinking, he grabbed it to see a notification from An.

An: are you and aoyagi close? you guys talked for like 2 hours

Akito stared blankly at the text and typed mindlessly:

Akito: nah, he just wanted a tour of the street. i literally bumped into him so it's not like i could say no

He let his arms hang to his sides and leaned his head back until it touched his front door. He didn't turn on a light when he got in, and honestly, the darkness for good on his dry and tired eyes. His phone vibrated again, and routinely, he looked at it once more.

An: yeah i saw that. you're an idiot lmao

Typical. He smiled slightly.

Akito: i think i'm gonna sleep soon. i was already tired and the walk was not helping

An: yeah, that sounds about right. night, akito. don't let the boogeyman get you

With that, he took off his shoes, found his way to his room blindly, and collapsed in his bed, neglecting changing into sleep clothes and plugging in his phone.

~~~~~

He felt wet.

Sun streamed in through his window and Akito could feel his undershirt cling to his body. The world was still blurry, his mind purposefully against processing the sights of the room around him. He shielded his face from the incoming light.

Everything felt groggy. His head hurt, his eyes glazed and crusty around the edges, his legs and back ached. He shagged off his jacket, heavy with the smell of coffee and himself. He really needed a shower.

He moved in slow motion as he grabbed something to wear, rubbing his eyes as he sifted through the shirts hung in his closet. He hoped the things he grabbed matched; he didn't care enough to check.

Feet dragged on the tile floors as he made his way to the bathroom to piss and shower. The light hurt his head even more than before, but he didn't want to bathe in the dark. He put down the assortment of clothes on the counter and started to undress. It was a relief to take off his hoodie, probably the hottest article of clothing in his entire wardrobe. He loved it, but fuck, was it uncomfortable after 24 hours of straight wear.

At least the air conditioning was working again. He didn't even think about that.

With his white undershirt still on, he finally looked into the mirror. His hair defied gravity on the left side of his head while the right remained untouched, almost perfect. He ran a hand through it, oils and other gunk coating his fingers. He scratched the side of his abdomen before turning away to turn on the shower. He finally removed the final layer that encased him in his own sweat.