Chapter 6: I Like to Sing

Akito waited for him to return. "Did you tell your dad when your shift was done?" Toya thought for a second but eventually shook his head. Akito smirked.

"Stay for karaoke. You don't have to stay the whole time, just for a little while. Employees sing free."

~~~~~

An clasped her hands loudly, grabbing the attention of everyone in the restaurant. "Karaoke is open to customers only, so you must order a drink or some food if you wish to sing. Once the bar is closed, you will have to pay by song. Let's get this party started!" she exclaimed. People standing and sitting alike raised their mugs and cups in cheers.

A queue of customers quickly went to the stage both to watch performers and to pick a song of their own. Ken had bought new sound equipment so the quality was clearer and crisper than ever. An older gentleman, clearly already very drunk, was the first to sing.

Toya busied himself behind the counter as voices of men and women of all ages and skill levels echoed around the cafe. He helped clean up the abandoned cups and plates of the tables by the windows as the crowd moved to the back to reach the stage. Akito leaned on his elbows and watched the singers from a distance, wincing at the noticeable voice cracks and off key notes.

He looked to Toya as the grey eyed boy finished wiping the last table and slung the rag over his shoulder. "You're missing out on all the fun over here," Shinonome said playfully as Toya went behind the counter once again to remove his apron. "I really don't think I want to sing tonight. I mean, it's still my first day and I don't want to embarrass myself," he rubbed his arm timidly.

Akito hopped over the display case and wrapped an arm over Toya's square shoulders. "Nonsense, we can sing together. I'll even let you pick the song." Aoyagi went to protest but knew it was no use. Tonight- just for tonight -he'll sing.

"Do you know the song Ghost City Tokyo?"

~~~~~

An and Kohane were performing when Akito and Toya made their way to the back of the restaurant. Their energy was electric, every note on point, their performance increasing in intensity with every verse. Toya's eyes widened as they watched, absolutely enthralled by the girls. "I've heard them sing before on recordings, but live it's a whole new level," he stated loudly to Akito.

Akito nodded. "Come on, lets get our names on the list."

The customers cheered as the Vivids concluded their song with a powerful tone. Akito whooped from the line and Toya applauded politely. Kohane and An made their way down the steps of the stage and came up to BAD DOG and Aoyagi. "You guys did great as always," Akito help up a fist for An to bump, who enthusiastically reciprocated. "Thanks, Akito. Are you planning to sing, too? I noticed you weren't up first like you normally are."

He chuckled softly and the next performer took the stage. He spoke louder to be heard over the enormous speakers. "Yeah, I was just waiting for Aoyagi. He insisted on finishing cleaning before coming over. We're planning on singing together."

Toya looked away bashfully and An started bouncing on her heels. "Dude, that'll be so cool! And it'll be a good way for everyone to get to know you, Aoyagi-kun!" She said, clapping her hands in excitement. "I just hope I don't get booed off stage. Shinonome has so much more experience than I do."

They made their way to the sign up sheet and wrote down their names and the title of the song they wanted to perform before finding a place to sit. "We have a couple of people before us so if you want to warm up or something before we start, now's the time," Akito stated as he plopped in a chair and took a swig of water.