Part 16: Friend

Angeline awoke in the cave after a restless sleep as sunlight drifted in through the waterfall. The glow of the mushrooms had faded, and as she stepped outside, she found that the only light around was from the morning sun.

She dipped her hands into the waterfall and cautiously brought them to her lips. The water tasted fresh and clean.

The shirt she'd stolen from Ted was still stained with her blood from the crash. She took it off, then removed her pants and shoes and waded into the shallows. It was brisk, but not cold. Refreshing. The sandy ground felt nice between her toes. She rinsed her face and wiped down her arms, washing away the dirt and blood from the night before and letting the pool clear her mind.

The sound of rocks sliding through the narrow path reached her ears and she gasped, covering her chest with her arms as she ducked up to her neck in the water.

"Shay?" she called.

No response.

She began to slowly inch toward the waterfall, keeping her eyes on the cliff opening. A hand clad in a red sleeve poked out and she sighed in relief.

"Sorry, I— I was going to just leave this, and then I realized you're in kind of a vulnerable, um— I didn't want you to think I was using my abilities to stare."

"Leave what?" she asked.

"Food, and— and some clothes."

"That's fine. Thank you. You can bring it in, just don't look." She bent slightly lower, bringing the water to her chin as he shimmied through.

His hood was turned away as he stepped into the open area and set down a woven basket. "Everything I brought is edible. Aside from the clothes, of course. And the basket," he added. "And you're welcome to leave, if you'd like. This area is fairly safe. The LightWalkers sleep during the day, and you'll know if the Goliaths are around."

"Goliaths?"

"They don't frequent this area, so you shouldn't have to worry. The ground quakes when they walk. That's how you'll know to hide. Never run from a Goliath. They've got very good eyes, but their sense of smell is terrible."

"And that's all I have to worry about?"

"Well, there's also the trees."

"The trees?"

"Don't go near the ones that have eyes. They're called TreeHuggers. They blend in with the bark, and when you get too close, they go for the throat. But they're small, and cowardly. As long as you're wary, you'll be fine."

"What about the red eyes I saw?" she asked pointedly.

He paused. "They won't bother you again."

"That was you, wasn't it?"

He didn't respond.

"I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't know it was you."

"Would it have mattered if you did?" he asked.

"Yes."

He shook his head. "No, it wouldn't. You'd have looked at me the same way."

"On every planet I've ever been on, red eyes mean creatures with sharp teeth that want to turn you into lunch. I couldn't see your face. All I saw were glowing eyes in the dark. I wouldn't have been scared if you had told me it was you!"

He pulled down his hood and turned, staring her straight in the eye. The sight of him made her gasp. She had never seen a face so beautiful on a man. His features were symmetrical and well proportioned, with a straight nose and ample lips. His crimson eyes glowed like flames, and there wasn't a single blemish on his fair skin.

She turned her gaze to the side, unable to keep looking directly at him for fear her heart would stop.

"Happy?" he asked. He pulled the hood back up and turned to leave.

"Shay!" she called. She darted out of the water and to the basket on the sand, pulling out a beige shirt and brown pants. She pulled them on quickly and then squeezed through the rocks, looking both ways for him as she made it into the forest. "Shay!"

No response.

"Fine! I'm gonna touch every single tree until you come back!" she yelled. "All of them! Especially the ones with eyes!"

He stepped out from behind a tree with his arms crossed. "Why would you want me around?"

"Because you're the closest thing to a friend I've ever had," she answered. "I grew up in the fucking orphan farms. We didn't have friends, we had competition. The only person there who gave a shit about me was the caretaker. Then I finally got adopted, and my sisters ignored my existence. All I had was my little brother, Benji. And now I can never go back. I can never, ever see him again. You... you saved my life. And even when I did something so stupid, you killed those LightWalkers to save me again. Even after I insulted you and told you to fuck off, you still came back to bring me clothes, and food. I've never met anyone as kind as you. You're the farthest thing from a monster to me."

"You can't even look at me," he argued.

"Of course I can't. I've never seen anyone as beautiful as you in my life," she defended. "Your face is... breathtaking. It's like staring at the sun."

He was quiet, unmoving for several seconds.

"I-I'm sorry, don't take that the wrong way," she added. "Obviously you're like, two hundred years older than me, and immortal. I'm not—"

"No, it's just— no one's made me blush like that since I was human," he said with a chuckle.

"I thought you said you were ugly."

"I said frightful," he corrected. "In the two hundred years I've been alive, no one's ever called me beautiful. I think my face might be as bright as my eyes right now."

She smiled slightly. "So, can we be friends? Without the hood?"

He winced as he pulled it down to his shoulders, revealing an embarrassed grin. "I'd like that."

"Okay then, friend. Why don't you bring your pretty face and tell me about the food you brought?"

"You'd better stop that, or it will go to my head," he warned.

She rolled her eyes. "Come on, then, ugly. Hurry it up, I'm starving."