Part 20: Oxygen

"They're alive?" Angeline asked.

"They must've been unconscious earlier, or I would've felt them." Shay stepped up to the door. "It's a sliding mechanism like the others, yes?"

"Yeah," she answered.

He placed one hand sideways against it and pushed. The lock snapped almost immediately and the door slid open.

Steven's eyes went wide and he exchanged a concerned look with Mikal.

"I'm flattered," said Shay. "Can we focus?" He stepped into the dark room and knelt beside the unconscious woman on the floor, checking her pulse. "She's alive, barely. But I—" He turned toward the bed, then stood up and cautiously approached. He stopped at the corner and waved at the others. "Angel— Ann— An-geline," he stammered, "Stars. Would you...?" he pointed at the side of the bed and she pursed her lips to keep from smiling as she crossed the room.

Tucked in the corner with his knees to his chest was a pale young boy around ten years old, bald, with an oxygen tube across his face. Her heart sank.

"Hey, sweetie," she said softly, kneeling by the edge. "Are you okay?"

He stared at her with wide green eyes surrounded by light colored scales.

"Sorry, I think I frightened him," said Shay. He took a step back.

Angeline inched toward the boy, offering him her hand. "I'm Angeline," she said. "You're Kaecilian, aren't you?"

He nodded.

"What's your name?"

"Kallinikos," he replied in a small voice.

"Can I call you Niko?" she asked.

He nodded.

"There's some lovely flowers outside, Niko. Would you like to come with me to see them?"

He glanced nervously at Shay.

"He won't hurt you. He's here to help," she said.

"Kita's in the village," Shay said softly. "I'll carry his mother; see if you can't get him to follow." He lifted the unconscious woman into his arms and exited the ship.

The boy whimpered.

"You're safe, I promise. Come on."

He hesitantly took her hand and she helped him up. His oxygen tube ran to a large metal cylinder that was nearly as tall as he was, tipped on its side. The roller attached to it was broken.

Angeline was barely able to push it upright again. The gauge was nearly empty. She turned to Steven. "It's too heavy to carry. Tell Shay to come back."

"I can get it," he said.

It took all her effort not to roll her eyes. "Fine. Go ahead."

He knelt and picked up the tank with a grunt, setting it down a few seconds later. "Hey, help me out with this, would you?" he said to Mikal. "Thing weighs a ton."

"Let's go." Angeline took Niko's hand and led him slowly through the ship as Steven and Mikal trailed behind with the tank.

They set it back down with a huff as they reached the entrance. "I think it's time we ask the hoods for help," said Mikal.

"Nonsense. Come on," Steven urged.

Angeline shot him a glare.

"I'm going to get that red guy," said Mikal. "You can stay here and struggle if you want."

Steven gave it one last heave, managing to move it a few more feet. "Hey, wait up," he called, chasing Mikal.

"That thing looks like it weighs a lot more than you do," Angeline said to Niko.