Chapter VI

The Breakout

The morning after the tea fiasco and my little heart-to-heart moment with Alastar, I decide to take some alone time. But first I'm having breakfast. 

After I get dressed, I walk out of my room and Alastar is sitting on a chair, reading his book and pretending really hard not to notice me. But he does, which I can tell from his tense shoulders. 

So nothing has changed, I suppose. 

I already assumed thing would be awkward between us, but now that it's actually happening, I just don't care anymore. He will have to be the first one of us to try; I'm done. It's his job to guard me. We don't have to speak. So I walk past him to my usual breakfast location. He can decide whether or not he follows me. If I die, it's on him. 

A servant walks past me and I say to him, 'Excuse me.'

He freezes, like I shoved a knife in his face. He bows for me. 'Y-Yes, Y-Your Majesty?'

What's with these servants? 'Are you alright?'

He nods frantically. 'Quite alright, yes, yes, physically and mentally of course.'

I nod slowly. 'Alright, if you say so. Could you tell the kitchen for me that I would like to have my breakfast? The usual, please.'

He nods again. 'Absolutely, Your Highness.' He bows again and all but runs to the kitchens.

I shake my head incredulously and go to my seat at the window. I haven't noticed Alastar anywhere, so he's good at keeping himself hidden. Ten minutes later, someone arrives with a plate. 'This is for you, Princess.' 

'Thank you very much.'

She looks astounded. She curtseys and runs away. What's going on?

Since this week's been full of openhearted conversations, I decide to just ask them what's going on. When a servant comes to pick up my plate, I say, 'Wait just a bit.'

I might as well have said 'Jump off a bridge', that's how scared she looked. 'Y-Yes, Your Highness?'

'What's going on with all of you? You treat me as if I will give the order to execute you all.'

She pales. 'No, no, not at all, Princess! We all respect you very, very much.'

I roll my eyes. 'Stop it. Tell me the truth. That's an order.'

The poor girl is sweating like a sinner in a temple. She looks around to see if anyone is close to hear her speak. 'Well, you see, there are some... rumours... Not that I believe them, of course. They say you had Mrs Harvin thrown in the dungeons at the day of the funeral, because of how she spoke to you.'

My eyes widen. 'Really? I haven't done that. She's not in the dungeons.'

Now she looks like she's going to cry. 'Some say she is, Your Highness.'

I have to investigate this. I nod. 'Thank you. That was all.'

She releases a breath and bows before she takes my plate and leaves. I look out the window. I'm sure Father would not have had her thrown in the dungeons. He, too, must have seen that she was in an incredibly emotional state of mind. So they must be rumours, after all. I could see why one would think Mrs Harvin is locked up, but my father would never lock someone up in the dungeon for something small like that.

Right?

I suppose there is no harm in asking, so I decide to go to my father's office. I knock on his door and open it. Unfortunately, he is having a conversation with his advisor, Urival. They both look up at me. I clear my throat uncomfortably. 'Excuse me, Father. Can I have a word with you?'