Chapter 12

January 2024

After we finished our coffee and breakfast together, Charles announced that he would have to leave for Maranello. I thought for a moment, but then asked, "Would you mind taking me to see mom?" Charles looked at me for a second and nodded, "Sure. I'll wait until you get ready." I ran to my room where I dressed warmly because I planned to walk back. It was only a short walk of about half an hour from the cemetery in a straight line across the meadows.

"Can we stop at the flower shop?" I asked cautiously before we entered into town. Charles just nodded again and a moment later stopped on the side of the road in front of a small flower shop. I got out, crossed the street and went inside. I was instantly intoxicated by the wonderful floral aroma, and the lady behind the counter gave me a friendly smile. "Buongiorno. What would you like?" she asked and I told her my request.

I returned to the white Ferrari and sat back in the passenger seat. "Your favorite," Charles sputtered and I looked at him in surprise. "There are some things that I still remember," he laughed. "And besides, it's the name of your guesthouse." I couldn't help but laugh too.

"Do you want me to go with you?" he asked as he pulled into the parking lot outside the cemetery. "If you want," I shrugged and jumped out of the car. I heard he got out too, but I didn't wait for him and headed straight for the entrance gate. I walked into the alley where my mom was and sure enough I found a stone plaque with the inscription Silvia Rossi * 6 settembre 1976 † 25 febbraio 2019. "Hello mom," I whispered and placed a bouquet of yellow roses in a glass vase. She was looking at me from a small framed picture on the board, smiling like nothing in the world was bothering her. I was comforted that nothing really bothered her now. I felt a warm hand on my back, and even though it was just a light touch, it was very comforting. "When Luca wrote me what happened, I wanted to leave everything and come to you," Charles whispered and I sighed. I didn't want to talk about it again, not here. "I had already arrived in Maranello already, but I lost my courage and went here instead." I raised my head and looked at him in shock. "I thought I was the last person you wanted to see at a time like this." I shook my head in disbelief and turned to face him. Then I mindlessly stepped closer, wrapping my arms around his waist and burying my face in his black winter jacket. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and held me tightly close to him until I pulled away.

"When are you leaving?" I asked the question that had been bothering me throughout his unexpected stay at our home. "The day after tomorrow, I'm flying to Barcelona for testing," he admitted and waited for my reaction. "I hope everything goes well," I smiled, even though I didn't feel like smiling at all.

"Adri," he began.

"Well, it was nice to see you again."

"Don't do it," he shook his head.

"Don't do what?"

"Don't end it like this. I want you back in my life again."

I sighed and looked into his eyes. The sharp winter sun reflected in them and they looked almost blue now. I could never properly describe the color of his eyes. As if they changed according to the light and his mood.

"If we are to play a role in each other's lives, we will play it. But Charlie..." I hesitated. "I don't want to be the only one trying." He nodded and quickly pulled me into another hug. Like so many times before, I inhaled his scent.

It took me longer than usual to walk back because I was lost in my own thoughts. This time, my mind was not filled with sad memories of my mother, as it usually was on the way from the cemetery. This time I couldn't think about anything but Charles. About Charles and his smile, his eyes, his hair, his smell. His arms wrapped around me. Just him. And unfortunately, I couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling that I would lose him again. I was afraid that those couple of days would disappear again like steam over a pot, just like Charles disappeared all those years ago.