Chapter 11:

After a few days, the duke once more summoned me. Well even if hadn't, I would've visited it anyway, the reason being that damn book which I got from that damn sketchy alley lady. That day when I returned back to my room.

As planned, I opened the book to continue reading from where I left off. I hadn't managed to get passed the second chapter due to how stupid it was last time. But now I've realized that I should've read on to prepare better for this.

So turns out. The book isn't completed. With each choice I make, fate changes, and so does the contents of the book. But up until now, all those choices have led to the fate of death. Like this one.

Apparently, once Sovine got engaged to the crown prince, she would go mad in love. That doesn't sound so bad right? But with my knowledge from the game, I know that when the real daughter comes in, she's supposed to get married to the crown prince and become empress.

And since in this world, there is a such thing as magical contracts it'd be impossible for the crown prince to just annual the engagement so easily and would require the elimination of one party.

'And you guessed it, I was chosen as the one to be eliminated. And no one stepped up to stop it.'

As expected. But since my original goal was to die anyway, I have nothing to lose here!

So due to this newfound information, I've been popping into the duke's office multiple times each day ever since the last time when he announced the engagement with the crown prince. Why would I bother with this when they have already finished the engagement?

Well, I had Ardeat do some digging, and apparently, the engagement hasn't been put in contract yet. I was somewhat upset to hear the news but there's no need to rush it.

They haven't informed the magic tower of it yet due to it being the engagement plans of a royal member which is supposed to be kept private from all individuals except for the families of those involved.

'Though, I wish that I hadn't asked the duke to break off the engagement back then, I'm sure they still won't break it off that easily.' I reassured myself taking a deep breath in as Petler announced that I had arrived.

'The reason the duke called me in today, is probably because he has gotten an answer from the palace.' 

It was the only logical explanation I could find for this. It's not like he'd just invite the child he blamed for his wifeks death into his office for a cup of tea or anything. And I don't think he's the kind of guy to get over that belief just from the last conversation we shared after the Marquis left.

"Greetings, your grace." I bowed as the duke refused to even glance at me and simply continued to write on his paperwork.

"... Uh... May I ask why you've summoned me?" I spoke up realizing he wouldn't tell me why so willingly if I didn't ask.

"... The letter regarding the request for your engagement's annulment has arrived from the palace." The duke announced after a moment of silence as my face visibly lit up at the news.

"Really?! What was their response to my request?!" I inquired as I basically ran over to the duke's desk unable to hold back my excitement.

But who could blame me? This was my chance to escape this horrible game and return back home! To my strict yet loving parents, my straight A's, my beloved fuzzy kitty, my annoying sisters, my electronics, and my poison-free meals!

Well, I wasn't so excited to go meet my annoying sisters again but even they were better than the bastards I was living with now. I waited impatiently as the duke sighed at my "indecent" behavior and brought out the letter bearing the Imperial family's seal.