3. They Say Marriage is Compromise

|

"...the only thing she feared was compromise, the soothing voice that licks down rage until it is nothing but a small smooth lump in your hand."

...AND LOVE

Avyanna woke up to the soft sounds of curtains being drawn and bright sunlight streaming into the bedroom.

Her eyes opened slowly.

She was alone in the bed, Alistair was gone and his side was cold and empty.

A young maid was moving around the room and Avyanna sat up in surprise to see her.

"Morning, my lady." The young girl greeted quietly, going about her business. "Master Alistair wanted to make sure you were comfortable. If you needed anything."

Avyanna watched her tie the curtains open, and then she picked up the muslin that had been used the night before. She tidied the table and cleared it of loose marigold petals.

"I'm fine," Said Avyanna, "Thank you, I – "

"I've drawn up a hot bath for you. You may ring for me when you're finished and I'll show you to the dining room." The young woman paused. "Or would you rather have your breakfast in bed?"

"No, no. I'll have breakfast downstairs. Thank you."

She gave Avyanna a small smile before she disappeared.

Avyanna sat in the bed for a while, gathering herself and her thoughts.

She scooted off the bed and headed to take a bath.  Had she slept in too long?  Did they stand on ceremony even for breakfast?

She would learn soon enough.

In a small dining room meant for simple family meals, Avyanna was greeted warmly by Emma Nobel, the matriarch of the Nobel family.

Carter Nobel's older sister, and Alistair's aunt.

She was a beautiful and elegant older woman, with a strength and fire in her eyes that told of a life well lived, one without fear or reservation; but her tall slender body was slightly bent after a mysterious accident so that now she walked aided by a cane.

Emma's unexpected warmth helped shake off the last bits of the apprehension Avyanna had felt since arriving at the Nobel's manor.

She had not known what to expect and she had made wild assumptions that had frightened her, yet so far she had been proved wrong and they had all made her feel at ease.

Emma had kissed Avyanna on both her cheeks and embraced her fondly, "Finally. Another woman in the house." Her gaze was sharp and probing. "I hope you've been made to feel comfortable?"

"Yes, very," Avyanna smiled. "Thank you."

Emma nodded, "Good. You'll have to forgive the time it took for you to come here, that is between your wedding and now." She said straightforwardly, "Alistair went missing, imagine our worst fears, and then when we got him back he wanted to be completely healed before you arrived."

"I understand now. I hadn't realized he had been injured."

Emma gave her a somber smile, "Indeed. Things are happening out there and we must brace ourselves for the worst.  Or so I hear. Personally I don't believe it'll get worse."

Avyanna remembered Alistair saying the war was not yet in Alcott. 

Not yet.

Avyanna also didn't think that it was so grim, at least she hoped not. Up until now what was beyond their border just seemed so far away.