||Eight||

He kissed me.

While he thought I was sleeping.

The only thing I could think to do was freeze. I kept my eyes closed, my body deadly still and pretended that I was yet asleep, but all I wanted to do was open my eyes and scream.

I thought he was effing straight.

Anger and confusion kicked into my system, I wanted to punch something so badly I could barely contain it.

I continued to lay limp, though, trying to control my breathing and make it seem normal.

Jake sighed, tugging me away from my thoughts, then I heard a wrinkling sound as he moved from the couch. I felt his body against me, a warm and solid grip around my sides as he carried me, the smell of his cologne assaulting my nose.

I almost lost it, right there and then, but I didn't. I didn't want to face a confrontation, especially not of this kind. And especially not in that precise moment. I managed to groan, acting like I really was asleep and I figured I succeeded when he didn't say or do anything in response.

His feet hit the hard wood as it creaked beneath him, but otherwise he was silent and light on his feet.

Finally, I felt Jake lower me down against my bed, its soft material against my skin made me sigh in relief. But also panic after a second thought.

What if he tries to do something else?

Guilt washed over me like a giant wave. He wouldn't do that to me, he was my friend. I felt disappointed in myself for just thinking that he could hurt me.

But before I could go on feeling feeling any more guilt, Jake brushed his fingers through my hair, his hand warm and soothing, and I moved my head closer against him unconsciously.

I felt something warm press against my forehead, his lips probably, which made me want to open my eyes so badly. But I didn't.

Instead, I hear him sigh yet again, removing his fingers from my hair.

"What am I doing?" He whispered.

Then he left, closing the bedroom door behind him.

I instantly opened my eyes, staring at the spot where he crouched down beside me only seconds ago.

"What am I doing?"

I have no idea.

~

The next morning, I woke up feeling nothing but confusion.

Yes, I was angry the night before, but in the morning all I wanted to do was ask why. My thoughts didn't wander towards anger so much, just...why.

After I got ready and dressed, I walked into the living area only to find it void of anything Jake-related. His clothes from last night weren't hanging on the edge of the couch, his car keys were gone from the coffee table, and so was his phone.

I didn't know what to think, but I did feel my heart thud against my chest painfully.

So I walked into the kitchen to make myself something to eat, to distract myself. Only more a minute.

And almost yelped when I saw someone standing over the stove.

"Jake?" I asked, a hand over my heart.

He was standing with his back turned to me, facing the modern stove my parents had installed in the kitchen. Around him lay several plates, packages, and a styrofoam egg holder along with other kitchen utensils.