||Nine||

"Dev?"

"Nate, hi!"

I was sitting on one of the kitchen counters with a jar of peanut butter by my side, which I occasionally took a spoon of. My phone was in my hand, pressed against my ear so Devin's voice could sound clearer in my ears.

"Hi, I just wanted to call because it's been a long time since we hung out on our own." I explained as I licked at the peanut butter that lingered on my spoon.

"Do you want to meet at the café?" He asked.

"Yeah, I do. I just want us to talk like we used to, you know? I get that we've both been busy-"

"But that's no excuse. Yeah, I understand. I'll meet you there in a few minutes," he said.

"Thank you," I whispered, but he'd already hung up.

The café was in full swing when I got there. Almost every single chair was taken, and I noticed several waiters rushing around taking orders when I knew their jobs were to be behind the counter or in the kitchen itself. Thankfully, it was easy to find Devin amongst the crowd. It gets easy once you obsess over the person for two years.

"So, what's up?" He asked after we both had our orders taken by Tom.

I shrugged, "I just wanted us to talk."

He leaned forward."Is everything okay with you and Tom?"

I frowned, "Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?"

He sat back. "Just wondering. Have you guys...you know, yet?"

"What?" I frowned.

"You know, have you guys done it?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

What the eff.

I shook my head, my face scrunching up in disgust.

"Don't you want to know if Ian and I have done it?" He raised his eyebrows.

"No," I pulled another face.

He shrugged.

"But...have you?" I asked, although I was definitely not prepared for whatever his answer could be.

"No," he smiled. "But I think he wants to."

I swallowed hard, "Do you want to?"

He laughed. "Heck, yeah. Have you seen him lately? It's hard not to just jump him sometimes, I swear. I saw him in the shower once, and I can't say I regret it. Although, I might have to ask you when it comes down to it, I'm not so experienced as I was with the ladies."

He winked.

It suddenly felt like the room grew smaller, like I was magically claustrophobic and all I wanted to was get out of there. I got this feeling that I was trapped in a over heater oven, all I wanted to do was climb out of my skin and go somewhere miles away from here.

He saw Ian in the shower?

I felt sick.

I stood up suddenly, so suddenly that Devin's head shot up in surprise, and a few people in the nearby seats glanced our way as my chair screamed against the wooden floor.

"I have to go," I muttered, leaving some cash on the table.

"What? We just got here," he frowned, eyeing me, then the money in confusion.

"I know, I just remembered I have a thing with Jake. I'm sorry." I rushed, then almost ran for the door.

"Nate, wait!"