Chapter 3

I was frozen in place, my hand still holding my phone next to my head as I was looking at him with wide eyes. I felt his leather gloves on my mouth, but strangely his touch had a sense of gentleness to it, even though he was restricting me from speaking. The sound of Summer hanging up could be heard and the man looked at the phone, then back at me. He had the same baseball cap on that I saw him wearing the last time he bumped into me. "I'm going to let go of you now and you will not scream or run away. Understood?" his voice was husky and had a sense of sternness to it while his blue eyes told me that he wasn't playing around. I quickly nodded and I felt his grip slowly loosen and his hand left my mouth. I looked at him nervously and within seconds I made a quick decision to try and run away.

My attempt at escape was unsuccessful as he managed to grab my arm, pulling me right back in front of him and a sigh escaped his lips. His expression showed his clear annoyance at my attempt to save myself. "Were you not listening?" he asked, rolling his eyes before his cold eyes met mine. "Who are you and what do you want?" I asked freeing myself from his grip and I pulled my jacket back in place. "You have something that I need," he explained, his tone suggesting, that he wanted to get this whole thing over with as soon as possible. "The notebook? Is that what you want?" I asked tensely as I frowned trying to make sense of him and this whole situation. "Yes. Now where is it?" he replied not even moving a muscle on his face as he crossed his arms. "So you were the one who broke into my apartment?" I looked at him almost demanding an answer, trying to seem taller than I was by raising my chin even though he was towering over me. He's eyebrows moved just a tiny bit upwards as my words seemed to have made a thought appear in his mind. "Where is the notebook?" he completely ignored my question as he tilted his head.

"You've been following me haven't you? How do I know I can trust you?" I asked suspiciously as I wasn't sure how to judge his character just yet. He was like a closed book, securely locked with a chain and buried deep into the ground. "You just have to, alright?" He pinched the bridge of his nose frustrated then he mumbled: "You can call yourself lucky, that I got to you before they did." They?

"I'll tell you where it is if you tell me what is going on," I offered after a moment of silence with a small but confident nod. His head turned to the side, giving me a good look of his clenched jaw that was making his annoyance apparent before he looked back at me and nodded. He was a bit reluctant at first but from his agitated expression, I could tell that he just wanted to end our little conversation at once.

"It's in my bag...which is at the library, with my friend...I think" I explained pressing my lips together as I realised how my words sounded. "You think??" Now he was getting even more irritated and a frown formed on his forehead. He let out a deep breath and it looked like he was trying to compose himself before he started walking away. Confused, my eyes followed him, before I hurried after him "Where are you going?" I asked, the words leaving my mouth before my brain got the chance to connect the dots. He gave me one look which made me understand instantly, so I nodded following him silently. We were heading to the library and I could feel the sickness in my stomach return.

                                ༺═──────────────────────═༻

"Stay close and don't do anything stupid," he said strictly not even bothering to look at me while he was scanning his surroundings. We took the back entrance to enter the library and he told me to waste no time in finding Summer and my bag.

It wasn't hard to spot her since she was sitting at our usual table and I approached her at a quick pace. "There you are. I was getting worried you know. You called me and didn't say a word what happened?" She had a concerned look mixed with irritation on her face that instantly eased a bit once she saw that I was unharmed. "Sorry...bad connection," I lied and I couldn't help but glance back at him. He was standing a bit away from us, his hands crossed and his eyes bore through me while he waited impatiently. "Is everything alright?" Summer asked hesitantly and she spotted the shadow watching us before her eyes landed on me. "Do you know him?" Her question brought me back to reality and I spotted my bag, putting it around my shoulder. "Oh no...everything is fine I just... forgot about this thing and I... I really need to go," I tried to lie my way out of her prying questions, but I knew that she could see through them as she frowned suspiciously.

"A thing?" she repeated. "Jup." I nodded giving her the best fake smile I could manage in that moment, hoping it would reassure her. "I'll tell you everything later. I really need to go right now. I promise," I said as I looked at her almost apologetically and I was about to walk away with my bag dangling around my shoulder but I stopped waiting for her answer. She nodded and surprisingly didn't ask anything else. "Call me once you're done," she demanded looking at me sternly and I nodded and quickly walked away.

"Got it," I said once I got closer to my mysterious companion and I noticed that something else caught his attention and my gaze wandered to where his eyes were looking. I saw two men on the first floor looking down at the desks – It didn't seem like they wanted to read a book or study tho. I could feel the tension rise as I saw them go from corner to corner, searching over the whole library. "Great," he mumbled as more sketchy-looking men appeared and our situation started to look rather unpleasant.

He pulled me behind a shelf with him and we peaked through the books. "Could you now please tell me what is going on?" I asked, looking at him before I took a glance at the men walking around. He was silent for a moment then he started explaining. "In short, the men out there are part of a terrorist organisation called HYDRA and you have something that belongs to them." He said glancing around and it seemed like he was looking for a way out of this. "What?" I said louder than I should have before quickly lowering my voice, repeating my question in a whisper this time.

My little yell earned me a cold gaze from him but then he signalled for me to follow him, telling me to stay quiet. "And how do I know you're telling the truth? I don't even know you." I whispered, walking behind him. He glanced around and we went behind another shelf where he turned around to face me. "For all I know I'm not even sure that they are looking for me. Maybe they want to find you," I pointed out, sounding a bit like a smartass as I waited for his reaction. "The name's Bucky Barnes and I'm your only chance of getting out of this place alive. So it seems that you don't have a choice" He leaned closer now towering above me as his eyebrows raised slightly like he knew I wouldn't have a snarky comment this time.

I opened my mouth to say something – anything, but I closed it having thought better of it. I sighed, looking at the men that were slowly starting to come closer and my mind started to imagine what would happen if they caught us. Shuddering, I shook my head before I turned my eyes towards him again. "Alright then. Lead the way," I said, making a forward motion with my hand. He rolled his eyes again and at this point, I was sure that the only two emotions this man was capable of feeling were annoyance and coldness – if you could even call that an emotion. But I didn't say that out loud of course. After all, he was helping me out of this mess.

So I followed him as we, step by step, made our way towards the back door, trying to not attract too much attention to us. All of a sudden Bucky stopped which made me bump into him as I looked up confused by his sudden halt. But then I saw it too. Two men – and they were standing directly next to the exit door. He turned towards me clearly in a bit of a dilemma as he asked: "Is there any other way out of here?" I nodded "There is an emergency exit but I doubt it's open. It's for emergencies after all," I frowned not really thinking it would help us in this situation. He looked around as he took me by the arm and started to walk again. "We'll take that," he said and we both noticed that more eyes were looking in our direction which meant that it wouldn't take them long to spot us.

We hurried to the door and as I predicted, it was closed shut with no way to open since it only unlocked in case of a fire. I looked up at him a bit helpless and I wasn't sure what his next move would be. He placed his hands on his hips, looking around a bit tense and then his eyebrows moved up as he spotted something on the wall. It was a fire alarm and before I could even ask him what he was going to do, his left arm was already in the air and in the next moment his hand disappeared inside of the wall and a loud alarm rang out. When he pulled his hand out, I stared at the wall where his punch landed and there was a deep hole there. My eyes widened in surprise as my mouth stood slightly open. The button for the fire alarm was not only completely broken, but it seemed like the whole case was pushed inside of the wall into the hole.

When his eyes met mine and he saw my shocked and surprised expression, I suddenly noticed. that something in his expression changed. It was subtle but still visible. His eyebrows raised and his eyes softened just a bit. Enough so I could note it and then it disappeared as he started walking towards the exit door, opening it before yelling over the alarm "Come on let's leave." It took me a second before I followed behind him still thinking about what just happened.