Chapter 4

I never thought, that I would spend my Friday night following a man I hardly knew through dark alleys. But here I was doing exactly that and it sounded like it could be the beginning of a kidnapping story – and somehow this one also included a notebook and a group of bad guys trying to kill me.

So I found myself speed-walking behind Bucky, not even knowing where he was heading. "Can you now finally tell me where we are going?" I said a bit breathless, trying to keep up with him. "Somewhere safe," was the only answer I got and I sighed, looking around a bit nervously. All of a sudden I felt something wet fall on my nose and I looked up. It was starting to rain and the water drops slowly landed on my head and a moment later it started pouring.

I looked around but I couldn't see much, the thick drops of water on my glasses were blocking my view. Bucky unexpectedly came to a halt under a small roof which shielded us from the rain. "Are we there yet?" I asked looking up at him when suddenly something covered my view. I flinched slightly but relaxed once I realised what was going on. Bucky was wiping the outside of my glasses with the sleeve of his shirt that he pulled out from under his jacket. I looked up at him a bit surprised. "We're almost there," he answered and I sweared I could have spotted a tiny smirk on his lips since his attempt to wipe my glasses only made my vision more blurry.
"You're...making it worse," I mumbled, pulling my face away and taking my glasses off to try to clean them with my shirt. He didn't say anything else and we continued rushing through the rain and finally stopped in front of a seemingly old building. The sound of rain quietened down as we entered and our heavy breaths were now audible. The water was dripping on the floor from our soaked clothing and it marked a trail behind us.

I followed him into an apartment and he closed the door behind us locking it. My eyes looked over the room and it seemed quite different than I imagined it to be. Contrary to my belief, the room was clean and tidied up, the dim lights that he turned on created an almost inviting atmosphere. I stood there, while the water from my clothes left wet spots on the floor, and I continued to analyze the room. My eyes still wandered over every detail and I took the time to take off my jacket to hang it on a hanger. A glance down towards my clothes made it clear, that my jacket did absolutely nothing to protect me from the rain. I felt my clothes with my hands. My shirt was not that wet and dryer than the rest, but I could feel my pants stick to my skin.

Just as I was done inspecting the condition of my clothes, I spotted Bucky walking out of one of the rooms. He had different clothes on and was rubbing his hair with a towel. When he looked up at me he must have remembered, that I was also there and his eyes scanned me from head to toe. He frowned and walked back into the room he just came out of. After a moment he appeared again, but with some clothes and another towel in his hand. "This should be fine for now." He pressed the things in my hands and I was a bit surprised by the gesture. "The bathroom's over there. " His finger pointed at a door before he walked past me not giving me a chance to say something in return. Still, I spoke a quick "thank you" even though I wasn't sure if he heard me.

After I peeled my clothes off, I looked at the ones he gave me and put them on. They were all way too big for me, but at this moment I would have taken anything over my wet clothes. I looked at myself in the mirror while I dried my hair with the towel. The red long-sleeve shirt that I received was pulled back a bit so the neckline wouldn't reveal too much and my wet hair covered my neck and collarbone. I hung my own clothes over a heater to make them dry faster before stepping out of the bathroom.

I felt like an intruder in his apartment as I walked around heading towards a couch and I sat down. There was no trace of him. His space wasn't that big but it wasn't tiny either. It contained one main living room, which was connected to a small kitchen. Then there was the bathroom, from which I had just come out of and next to it was another room, which I assumed was his. His room had no door so you could see inside of it and there was a bed which was neatly done. It almost looked like he rarely slept in it as it just seemed oddly too cleanly made. There wasn't even a single crease on the bedsheets, like somebody went over them with a heating iron. I also noticed, that there was a pillow and two folded blankets on the floor beside the couch. So maybe he was sleeping on the sofa? But I doubt that it would be comfortable to sleep on – I guess I would find out soon enough.