Chapter Twelve: I Don't Work Here

"Wish I would've told you but you just don't seem To wonder what I'm doing when you're close to me...

I think it over and it might be true I'm only overthinking when I'm close to you"

[Song: "Close to You" - Dayglow]

RECAP:

That was sure some hiatus but we're back after 3ish years.

Everyone -Naomi, Bennett, Jordan, and Declan- is still suspended after a big fight with Raymond and his goons. Naomi learned more about the others through some da- I mean, hang outs in the last couple of chapters.

Let's see what will happen in this chapter!

NOTE:

I rewrote a little bit of Broken Glasses. I rethought Bennett's character/dialogue- shorter lines but more actions. It will be a good reason to reread the book as a refresher. You'll know it's a new scene if there are no/few comments. Definitely read Chapters 4 and 7. Hint: "passenger princess"~

Made by the amazing @Pekgna! I commissioned this back in 2021 when I first began writing the chapter hehe

~

"Why can't the author update faster?" I grumbled out as I scrolled down to the comment section of the chapter. "They just had to leave us at a cliffhanger."

My chin rested against my hand as I sat in front of my laptop on the couch. With a sigh, I used my chopsticks to pick up another chip from the bag. It may seem like an odd choice to use chopsticks for chips, but I'm able to have clean fingertips as I eat chips while using my computer.

Mindlessly chewing, I tapped against the mousepad as I looked for something to do. I already finished all of my schoolwork to keep me ahead of missing a week of school. The only reason I didn't do any more work was that I didn't have any handouts from class. I frowned knowing that I had to do something about that.

When my phone rang, a picture of me and my dad in an amusement park was displayed on the screen.

"Naomi, I'm in trouble," my dad said, his usual greeting when giving me a call.

"What?" I asked, sitting up from my seat in surprise. "What's wrong?"

"I forgot my lunch bag," he said urgently. "It's on the kitchen counter. Your mom's going to kill me if she finds out I forgot it again."

I sighed. "Thanks for giving me a heart attack so early in the morning," I told him.

"Please tell me the food is still alive."

"Aren't you glad your daughter got suspended from school? The food would've gone bad if it was left out like this," I said as I got up from the couch.

There was a pause. "I'm not going to confirm nor deny that."