[Chap. 1] - "Great, just... Perfect!"

"Today on Channel News, reports on missing cases related to Playtime Co. have been on the rise as of late. And yet, manager and co-founder Elliot Ludwig has been inactive in solving and regarding such affairs."

"Employees and workers under Playtime Co. were reported not knowing how these circumstances occurred, but several lawsuits have been filed - not against the workers, but mainly against the company for their irresponsibility."

"The majority of these cases happened following the Catnap Case, but there's still no clear answer as to the root of the proble-"

"And... you're working there?" Your roommate and best friend of 2-ish years, Michelle, sounded out from the couch of the living room.

By the looks of it, she seemed to be the tiniest bit concerned by your temporary career decision.

"Just for a little while, until I'm not completely broke out of my mind," Light-heartedly, you replied. You buttoned on a cobalt-blue vest as you addressed her concern.

Michelle's face had a look - that look she'd always have when she was in a copious amount of disbelief, she'd think her own mind was playing tricks on her. And this time, it was her concern - for you.

"And... you're sure you wouldn't just prefer working part-time at a McDonald's instead?" She jested, but in all seriousness, you could tell she silently hoped you'd reconsider.

"Nope, not when the pay there is only a third of what I get compared to this new gig," You fixed your work uniform, patting it lightly over as you pinned a badge just above your shirt pocket.

Before Michelle could even utter another word, you abruptly made a run for the front door, scrambling for your work bag and your phone as the door closed at its own leisure.

Pacing towards the elevator, your phone buzzed with a notification from, you guessed it, Michelle.

If you were still in your dorm, she'd be all over you, insistent on changing your decision.

The commute from your flat to Playtime Co. was everything but eventful. A bus ride and a couple miles to walk were nothing interesting, to say the least.

...

11a.m

The establishment was... way bigger than the last time you had seen it yourself. Like, waaay bigger.

Standing by the front doors with the establishment towering over you, you were just a little on edge by the possibilities. I mean- missing cases? Machines that are capable of slaughter? Ain't that just fun!

Maybe Michelle was right... Maybe working at a McDonald's wasn't as bad of an idea as I thought it wa-

"Hey! Newbie!" A voice called you from afar, and as you turned to the source, you saw a figure waving you over by the doors.

Snapped out of your thoughts, you pace over to the man, noticing the nothing but familiar work-uniform he's got on. His arms held a company clipboard by his chest, and he had worn a light blue hat - that was company-sponsored as well.

"So, you're the new hire?" He began. You caught the name "Emmett" engraved on the name tag of his shirt, from the corner of your eye. You nod.

"Alrighty..." He flipped through the sheets of papers attached to his clipboard, skimming through, "You'll be attending to the Playcare section of Playtime Co." He lifted his gaze to look at you. "That okay for ya?"