[Chap. 6] - "If Only You Knew..."

"Angel!"

You recognised that voice — mellow and carefree — and you knew exactly who you'd bumped into, judging by the strong scent of vanilla wafting through the air.

"Dogday?" Still panicked and drunk with adrenaline, you only managed to get an eyeful of the mascot.

"What are you doing here?"

As soon as he realised why he was here, his jeers and cheers toned down to a shy silence. Dogday fiddled and played with his fingers, his eyes avoiding clear contact with yours as he put on a look of shame.

It wasn't until you shot a glare of skepticism that his defensive shell finally shattered.

"You see, Angel. I was just..." Guessing by the guilty hand brushing up the fabric on his arms, you could tell he was planning on conning — or, at least, trying to — you once again. Though, you could tell he had a last minute change of plans,

"concerned... for your safety."

"Well, isn't this just great! Now we're both stuck here!" Your irked voice echoed through the pitch-black hallways front and behind, leaving a signal for anything or anyone that could catch even a sliver of your voice.

"It's not so bad, Angel. Look on the bright side, at least we've got Bobby!" Dogday threw his arms up by his sides, his presence the sole light of hope in these dark maintenance hallways.

"Speaking of... where is she?" He took a look around. Once you'd relayed the story to him, his smile faded to a vivid look of worry. Looks like the bright side... wasn't so bright after all.

"So? What now?" Your eyes shot up to meet his, leaving him speechless as he thought deeply about the next course of action.

"Well, now that it's just... you... and me here..." His eyes ogled over you, capturing quick glances of your face and your body — all over and everywhere — before he managed to catch himself staring for too long.

A blush enveloped his face. "I-I was thinking we could..." The canine cleared his throat from the invading stutters in his voice, if that was... even possible for a robot mascot.

"Continue forward?"

You both exchanged awkward nods. Not long after, you took two steps forward and led the both of you, while Dogday followed close behind — reeeaaal close.

The whole journey 'back' was tense, even when the only sound that rang through the insanity-inducing spaces were empty footsteps and the clash of fabric and metal on solid concrete.

"Y'know, Angel..." Dogday's voice rang free from your side, but unlike before, his voice vibrated through the wind with more gravel, and with it, an enigmatic feeling followed along.

"I've been meaning to ask this again." As he spoke, you paced and slowed your steps, which caused Dogday to follow suit.

"Are you sure you don't remember me?"

You took one look over your shoulder and shook your head from side-to-side before keeping your eyes back to the path the both of you were going.

You felt a furry hand clutch your wrist. Tight.

You turned back — or tried to, at least.

The feeling of the ground left your feet, and you were lifted off by a pair of rough hands.

Your back met with the firm surface of the walls, arms pinned against them and positioned right by your head.

You couldn't register a thing — not one thing...

... Until a gruff voice reiterated in chagrin.

Or... was it something else...?

"Are you sure?"

You shook your head, eyes half-closed with bated breath and a face of absolute panic.

"Oh, Angel..."

He leaned in closer, his voice hushing down into a breathy whisper. The space between the two of you narrowed to a close as his body leaned up against yours, breaths unmatched, and the proximity intense.

"If only you knew what you do to me..."

...