[Chap. 4] - "Comin' in Hot!"

~ | 💡 | ~

"'Round of applause,' they said. 'It'd be easy,' they said. Why I oughta-"

"B.B!" The teal elephant recoiled at the call of a voice from behind, nearly losing a grip on all his work materials. He took a few seconds to recollect his bearings, putting everything down and using those few moments he had to prolong his composure.

He turned around to relish in the sight of one of his closest buddies, Dogday - not like he couldn't pick up the distinct scent of vanilla from miles away.

"So, how's it goin'? Everything alright, or...?" Dogday inched closer to Bubba's workspace, eyes laced with a newfound, puppy-like curiosity.

"No, everything's 'not alright,'" Bubba interjected in a small fit of hysteria, glaring up at Dogday with his arms crossed and his face scoffed.

"First things first," Even if Dogday wasn't part of the problem, he prepared himself for an earful. He felt he was indirectly responsible for the incident as well.

"Why isn't Kickin doing all this? Why are his problems my responsibility?" Before Dogday was given a shred of chance to respond, Bubba continued, leaving no room for acknowledgement or dispute.

"Secondly, what do y'all expect me to do with these?!" Bubba motioned to the work space to his right - a long, wooden table occupied with nothing but a few "work materials" you'd find in a typical workshop. Problem was, those were not ordinary work tools; they were smaller, toy versions of them - exactly what you'd expect in a play area designed specifically for children.

Bubba picked out a screwdriver from the few, and with the shattered phone, he began to "work his magic," - "screwing" and "fixing" pure, feigned effort and the emptiness of the air onto the phone screen. He was ridiculed by the scenario, just a pinch away from losing his marbles.

"Dogday, for critters' sake." He lightened himself up, finally, as he rubbed the bridge of his... nose? Trunk? He was pressed; that was all that was needed to be said. "At least tell me that that chicken has gotten what has come to him."

With an unmindful hum and a tilted head, Dogday's clueless expression only grew more obvious as he wondered what Bubba meant. Not long after, he stuttered out an easy pretense.

"... Oh- uh, yeah! Rest assured, old buddy, old pal." Dogday patted Bubba on the shoulder in hopes of solace, which failed quite awfully in his terms.

"ol' KickinChicken has got what's comin', hehe..." He held a thumbs up and a timid smile, further raising Bubba's suspicion meter tenfold.

Eyebrows raised, the elephant eyed Dogday up and down before letting out a breath of exhaustion. He was never strung - Bubba would know why whenever he was.

"You haven't laid a scratch on the fool, have you?" Bubba insisted, catching Dogday in his blatant falsehood. Dogday attempted to rebut his comment, but he couldn't bring himself to lie. He sighed.

"Dang it, Dogday! You're too soft!" Bubba voiced out. Though, Dogday could tell he was being half-serious about the matter, he only grew red-faced in turn.

"In all seriousness, D.D," Bubba began, "I know you're our leader and all... but I'm curious about this... prospect. What has Angel got to do with all of us?"