6. Teenage Dream

“Teenage Dream” was released as the second single from Perry’s studio album of the same name. While discussing “Teenage Dream,” Katy said that the song is about recapturing the dizzying, thrilling feeling of first love. [Source: Genius Lyrics]

*****
FFAEK: Even though Emily didn't like covers of songs, she liked the Stephen Dawes cover of Teenage Dreams. It made her want to fall in love twice as much.

*****

Chapter Six: Teenage Dream

I spotted a sweet-looking middle aged woman coming towards us with a ten to twelve year old girl following her.

“Nathan-” The woman stopped talking when she saw me. She and the girl stared at me like I was some sort of alien.

“Mom!” The girl said, pointing her finger at me, “Nathan brought home a girl!”

She said it loudly enough that a boy - I couldn't tell where he materialized from in the narrow hallways - exclaimed, “ A girl!”

I was feeling less like a girl and more like a zoo monkey.

I glanced at Nathan, and even though I couldn't see his face, I knew that he was rolling his eyes.

“Oh, enough with the drama,” he said, “Mom, this is Emily.”

Emily. Right. That was my name. Nathan never called me Emily.

“Hey there, you sweetie,” that was all I heard as I stared at him, and he tried to warn me before the woman- his mom - hugged me.

She smelled like flowers and cookies, homey and soft. My mother never smelled like that. She smelled like lab fluids.

She pulled back. Nathan was watching me, leaning against the wall. I was never good at the meeting-the-parents thing. I still remembered when I met Leanna's parents for the first time and didn't know what to talk about. Thankfully, Leanna's mom was lovely. I hoped Nathan’s was too.

“Umm, hi?” It sounded like a question, “I am ..um.. Emily. We go to the same school?”

Why was everything sounding like a question?

Bear, the boy, I thought and the girl- whose name I didn't know -were still staring at me.

“Nathan never brings his school friends home,” his mom said. “So we are kind of surprised.”

He didn't have any friends at school, I thought to myself.

She threw Nathan a look over her shoulder. Nathan shrugged, “I brought one this time.”

“I-ah-I thought it might be okay if we studied together,” I added, “So..”

“It's definitely alright. I am actually glad you came over,” she said and looked at the girl, “I am taking Sawyer out to her friends, and I'll be late. Bear needs someone to watch over him. So you and Nathan can study while keeping an eye on Bear.”

“Yeah, sure,” I said. Sawyer was narrowing her eyes at me. She looked like she wanted to say something but didn't.

“Let's go, we'll be late.” Their mom said and grabbed Sawyer's hand. Turning to Nathan, she said, “There's food in the fridge. Don't give Bear more Skittles, and give your friend some snacks.”

I stepped out from in front of the door. Nathan followed his Mom, saying, “Yeah, I know, I know” and closed the door behind her.

Wow.

There were not as many people in my entire house as I encountered in his hallways.

“Is there anyone else around?” I looked to my left and right.