14. Me Before You

Me Before You is a romance novel written by Jojo Moyes. “Me Before You” is a touching and emotionally charged novel that grapples with love, loss, and the complexities of human existence. [Source: Wikipedia, Medium]

*****

FFANC: Georgie did not get up from bed after carrying around this book. At that time Nathan had to support her emotionally through stealing food from the kitchen.

*****

Chapter Fourteen: Me Before You

I joined them in their backyard. They tried to dribble away from me. Theo told me to get the ball from him as he ran around me. I cursed and tried to tackle him, but I couldn't, of course. I wasn't even the least bit athletic, and I hated sweating.

Fletcher pushed his blonde hair from his face and asked, “Hey, Em, you got a scrunchie?”

I had one on my wrist, “I doubt you have enough hair for it.”

I pulled it off and threw it towards him as Theo was dribbling away. Fletcher pulled his hair and made a cute ponytail right in the middle of his head. That made me laugh and I glanced at Nathan. He had his hands on his hips, watching us play. His shirt clung to his body in a way it had no business doing.

I looked away, and Theo threw the ball at me, “Take a shot, Em.”

It was nice how they were acting like old friends. I caught the ball and turned towards the basket. As I couldn't see it, I looked up, up, and up, craning my neck.

I held the ball in my hands and wondered just how many feet I'd have to grow right now if I wanted to score. I was about to make a joke on myself and turn around when I felt large hands wrapping around my tiny waist— tiny compared to his hands.

I was lifted, up and up, and suddenly the hoop was reachable. I felt like I could score with this extra six feet adding to my height.

I knew it was Nathan Callahan without looking. His fingers dug into my skin where my shirt had ridden up as he lifted me. All my attention shifted towards the side of my stomach, where our skin made contact.

I swallowed and concentrated on scoring. I took a deep breath. He murmured “good luck” from down there. I realized my ass must be right in his face.

I threw the ball, pushing back all my troubling thoughts. The ball bumped into the border of the hoop. I held my breath. I could even feel him hold his breath. The whole yard was silent, as the ball danced around and finally passed through.

The twins screamed, I screamed and turned around. I must have pulled Nathan's hair, I couldn't tell. He was smiling.

“I scored!” I told him, “I threw a freaking basketball and scored.”

“Yes, the entire five feet two and half inches of you,” he said, laughing. He remembered.

My cheeks hurt from my smile. It wouldn't have been possible without him. I glanced towards the twins. They were smiling at me in pride too. But I thought I saw Theo pass a dollar bill towards Fletcher. I looked back at Nathan, and suddenly his face was too close.

For the first time, I was looking down at him instead of looking up. It was a nice change.

He was still holding onto my waist, and in my excitement, I had wrapped my legs around his torso. I blinked at him. His eyes looked more green than usual, like a forest at the end of spring, so full of life yet dark and rich. His dark eyelashes curled against his cheek. I watched as one of my hands wrapped around his jaw, like I was not in control of myself.