13. Crazy, Stupid Love

Crazy, Stupid, Love. is a 2011 American romantic comedy film starring Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei and Kevin Bacon. It follows Cal Weaver, a recently separated man who learns how to be more romantic and charm women. [Source: Wikipedia]

****
FFANC: While watching this Daniel, his older brother, said he wanted to be ripped like Ryan Gosling. Nathan laughed at him and said he could never. Daniel said Nathan couldn't get it either.

*****

Chapter Thirteen: Crazy, Stupid Love

“He ate your lipstick!” TJ exclaimed from the other end of the call.

“No, he didn't,” I replied, giggling, “Did you even hear what I said?”

“He did, though,” TJ argued. “He wiped your lips and then sucked-”

“Oh my gosh, shut up,” I said as my cheeks heated up. I looked around to see if any of my friends were around. I was walking towards the debating club. We had a meeting today.

It was Friday. In chemistry, me and that culprit who apparently ate my lipstick didn't have any chance to talk. Actually, I didn't even look at him.

Because Wong was right there.

So I kind of avoided Nathan Callahan and ran as soon as class ended. Then, on my way, I remembered it was Friday, and I'd see him again.

“He's so in love with you,” TJ said.

“You are even more delusional than I am,” I leaned against the wall outside the clubroom.

I knew TJ would blow things out of proportion. But I couldn't tell any of this to Leanna. She would shoot Nathan straight through his heart.

“Fine, he wants to sleep with you,” TJ said, “You can't argue with that. What guy wipes a girl's lips if he doesn't have any intention like that?”

“Someone who loves ice cream and doesn't want it to go to waste,” I replied. I was trying to be a realist.

“You can't be serious,” TJ grumbled. “You looked cute and sexy as hell, in your little black dress and cute boots. Very few people can achieve the cute slash sexy look. I bet he could barely hold himself together.”

I laughed, “I shouldn't have sent you the photos of my outfit.”

“You bitch. Next time, send them to me before you leave,” TJ said. 

Then she added, almost as an afterthought, “It's working, Em.”

I sighed. “I don't know.”

“Yes, you do.”

Someone was singing inside the debating clubroom. I could hear shuffling.

“I'll talk to you later, Jamieson,” I said into the phone.

“Aye aye, captain.” She hung up.

It was probably a Drake song, and whoever was singing, he didn’t have any sense of rhythm. I peeked inside the clubroom, and there he was; Landon McArther.

Usually, I would have waited for Leanna. But I pushed the door open and stepped inside. Landon turned towards me. As soon as he saw me, he smiled.

“Emily,” he said.

I almost smiled back. Almost, because at that moment, I thought of someone else who smiled at me, but never innocently or with goodwill, but as if he was hiding something or being polite or mocking me. Never because he was happy to see me. I pushed that person's face away from my thoughts.