Chapter Six

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" He asked as I started to sniffle. He pulled away from me so he could look at me. His brown eyes held worry and a little curiosity. This is one of the many moments where he didn't make much sense to me. I was waiting for him to ask me to leave his space, which I broke into. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. He kept giving me signs he cared, but why would he care about me? He could like and date almost any girl he wanted, so why does it seem like he is choosing me? What if I'm not sure how I feel about him? What if I have no idea what to do with a relationship? I stared back into his eyes.

"I don't really want to talk about them right now. Can I stay the night? "I asked quietly. I looked away from him, and looked down and focused on his hands that were still on my waist.

"Course. How did you find my house of all places? You haven't been here before, even when we were younger?" he inquired. I let out a sigh of relief. My heart unclenched from the worry of having to go back, back to that house tonight. I wouldn't have minded if it was just Mom, but Allen has been starting to stay longer and longer, and more often. There is no guarantee he isn't there, and that he won't be there whenever I do go home. I looked back up at him.

"I. . . I might have almost literally stumbled upon your car in the driveway, and searched the windows for your room, and well it was unlocked so I let myself in" I half-laughed. Honestly, it was kind of ironic that the handful of people I wanted to avoid, I would stumble upon after a crisis. It was almost like some kind of power pushing us closer. The universe or fate was giving me the push to be inside his orbit. He gave me a smile, almost a real, full smile, if it did not hold the tint of healthy amusement.

"Hmm" he hummed the amused smile growing on his face. "I did want to talk to you alone." he started to chuckle. "Finding you in my bed, unfortunately dressed, was quite the surprise." I hit him on the arm playfully, starting to laugh at him, but also starting to blush.

"Spencer!" I playfully scolded. "I didn't come here for that" I blushed deeper.

"I know, but it is fun to make you blush like that," he chuckled.

"You are the worst," I mumbled. He smirked, amusedly even larger.

"I know" he stated egotistically. I enjoyed, safe, playful Spencer; the version of Spencer I discovered spending the Summer up in Brisbane with Dad and Sandra. This was that playful, nice kid. Those 72 hours were interesting to say the least and a lot happened. Apparently, between us too.

"Thanks for the soda and for letting me stay here." I was grateful. "Won't your dad wonder why there is a girl staying over?" I was curious. We had 72 hours together, and all he talked about was his mom and his sisters. I realized he never shared much about him or why he lived in Sidney, or about anything related to here. He nodded his head in the negative, and I hemmed in returned.

"He only cares about basketball. I doubt he'll comment if he finds you here." he shrugged. There was something more to that situation, I saw it in the way his jaw twitched, but I nodded pulling away from him to sit on his bed. He took my absence to grab his drink off the nightstand and take a chug. He put it down when his phone went off. I observed as he went to his desk and grabbed the phone. He was facing me when he was reading whatever message that came through. He wore a look of concern. He looked worried as he texted back. He pocketed the phone in his pajama bottoms. "Ant," he said sitting down next to me on the edge of the bed.

"He okay?" I asked with concern in my voice.

"Not fully sure, honestly. Grounded, but did not say safe. You never know with them a lot." He sighed, brushing a hand through his hair in restlessness.

"You care a lot about him?" I inquired, tuning my whole body toward him.

"Yeah. He's my best mate. He's been through hell with this religious extreme nonsense. I care about him. I also don't think he is telling me everything." He looked at me as he said this and I noticed his eyes start to water, but nothing fell. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Spence, you can show you care about him around me, okay. I noticed something is up with him too, even before the map. Something is different this year about him, so I think you may be on to something with him not telling you everything." I shared. He looked at me and gave me a small smile through the emotional pain.

"Hungry?" He quickly stood up and motioned for me to follow him into the kitchen.

******************************

School on Friday was quiet. No map news. No Slts, One class with Spencer, talked with Quinni, and read a lot more than the first day of school. My lit course was starting to read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and even though it was a short novel. I spent most of my study periods researching about America in the 1920s just to understand the political side of the novel, because of course I read it already. It was one of many of my 100 books to read before I die reading challenge.

Spencer has been kind to me. We have plenty of time to discuss our friendship, relationship, whatever we could be; are, we just haven't started the conversation. I have had openings, but I do not know how to start it, or fully what I want. I do not want a relationship built on secrets, on high school rumors, or be hated for dating him, and then be fully in the rumor mill again. I wanted sociability, but also calm and quiet. Is it possible to have both?

After school, I took the walk home. I wanted my phone, my own clothes, and to gather some of my novels. At least when I left last night I took my keys. When I reached the house, there weren't any cars in the driveway. I went on through the front door right to the back entry way, where my phone should still be at the edge of the counter, unless they took that from me too. I checked it, dead, and put it in my pocket, and walked down the hall to my room. I packed a bag for the night of party clothes, make-up, pjs, grabbed my toiletries, my charger, and clothes for the weekend. I wasn't planning on coming back here this weekend; I did not trust that Allen wouldn't be around. I walked back to school, knowing Spencer was still there finishing up basketball. I waited in the nice weather, outside. Reading one of the three books I grabbed off my nightstand on the way out. That is where Spencer found me before we headed back to his to get ready for the evening.