7

Saudi Arabian Grand Prix

Victoria's POV

The flash of the green light caused my foot to step on the accelerator instantly. P3 was not a position that I was unhappy with, but the sight of the other Ferrari car in front of me influenced my emotions otherwise.

If you told me a few years ago that I would have hated Charles Leclerc being in front of me more than Max Verstappen I would have laughed right in your face. Best friend over the enemy? Never. So I thought.

At this rate Verstappen is more of my friend than Leclerc.

Ironically, the RedBull driver was miles ahead of both Leclerc and I, but that didn't stop the overbearing motivation that itched to be satisfied until I overtook the driver ahead of me. The reflection of an orange McLaren in my rear view mirror caught my attention, the orange colour almost blinding my retinas. Lando Norris. You may be my best friend but on the track you're just as much as a competitor as anyone else, besides one.

My hands gripped the steering wheel with force, turning aggressively onto the apex with Norris right on my tail. Unfortunately for Mr Norris, his unsuccessful overtake made me smirk under my helmet, reminding me of a memory at Pierre's party,  "Bit ironic you saying that Norris, considering I've won more races than you, don't you think?"

The straight track ahead allowed me to enable DRS, the Ferrari car suddenly turning into a rocket which flew across the track. The crowd was cheering, screaming , booing, you name it they were doing it. The increased volume of screaming caused my instincts to become alert and I looked onto the screen that was between my hands. Fuck. He was right behind me.

The next apex was ahead, and I wasn't going to let Lando Norris kick me off the podium that I deserved this race. As we turned onto the apex, my Ferrari red and his orange McLaren car aggressively raced wheel to wheel. His overtake caused his left rear wheel to clip my front right, the jumping crowd of people now spinning in all directions. The impact caused my hands to have an unstable grip on my steering wheel, leaving me no control of the car I was in. Fuck.

The crowds that were once spinning were no longer within my vision, but the walls around the track were getting closer. The sudden crash of the car hitting the wall caused my head to jolt and feel dizzy. No, no, no. Please don't be out the race, please. I begged and hoped that this hadn't happened; a nightmare that became reality with a dreading, yet short conversation, which was about to occur.

"Are you okay Victoria, copy?" My engineer asked.
"Yeah." My hands were pressed into my eyes.

"Retire the car."

My jittery hands gripped the steering wheel and unlocked it from its place. My body that felt unstable jumped out of the car and was faced by a familiar face that was coming towards mine. Lando's face displaying emotions of fear, concern and anxiety.
"Fuck. Thank god you're okay." He said as he hugged me tightly. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? Shit, am I hurting you?" He asked as he stepped back.

"No, no, no Lando you're not hurting me, and yes I'm okay. It's okay, look I'm fine." I said turning around and showing my hands.
His eyes connected with my hands, "You're shaking." My hands were in fact shaking, quite a lot, "Just shock, I'm not hurt I promise, at least I think I'm not."

My curiosity made me realise that he wasn't racing anymore himself.
"What happened with you? Why aren't you racing?" I asked.
"Our contact damaged my wheel, and so I had to retire the car. I'm so fucking sorry, this was entirely my fault, and you could have been seriously hurt and I-"
I grabbed his hand and put them between mine, "No it wasn't your fault, these things happen, please don't blame yourself. This is our job and worse things than this occur, and realistically it wasn't even that bad of a crash" I said as I laughed it off.