Wattpad Original
Masz jeszcze 4 darmowe części

Ch. 12

Niamh leads me back to the entranceway of the mansion to reunite with Kyle and Nathan who are engrossed in conversation. Luckily, Christopher is nowhere to be seen, but Brittney has joined them.

The skin-tight, glittery maxi dress she's wearing is stunning. I can tell it's Versace by the gold buckle on the waist, her shoes and handbag matching.

Brittney clocks me immediately, and I have nowhere to escape this time. "Imogen, right?"

I nod, rushing to shake her hand when she holds it out. "Yeah, that's me."

Feeling overheated and scrutinised, I give her one of my warmest smiles, wanting to get along with her. It's reciprocated, but her smile isn't really a smile, more a tilt of the lips.

"Don't suppose you've seen Jude?" she asks.

"Outside," I say, clearing my throat. "Erm, he's outside with someone."

Brittany doesn't seem surprised by this when she looks over my shoulder, recognition flashing in her eyes. I follow her gaze to see Jude and the pink suit lady resurface. I take a deep breath and turn my back to them. I don't let them see my flushed face, choosing to search around in my clutch bag once more.

Nathan groans. "Not Vivienne again. She's the fucking worst, man."

Ah. The woman Jude still hooks up with every so often. The same one who called him when we were in my new car together. That's her.

My curiosity betrays me when I chance a glance and lock eyes with Vivienne, who throws me a cold smile as she passes by, making sure to sort her hair and wipe her lips.

It's uncomfortable, but I keep quiet, trying my hardest not to show any emotion. If the money I spent on acting classes taught me anything, it's how to play someone you're not.

Even if it feels impossible for me around Mr. Jude Dufour.

The raised beat of my heart makes me wonder if everyone can hear it, too, but their chatter and laughter tell me they can't. When the timer on my phone vibrates, I'm almost relieved to excuse myself to find a quiet spot to check my sugars.

I head to my car, switching the reading lights on to be able to see what I'm doing in the darkening evening sky. The score is all right, no need to inject just yet. Still, I take my time, wondering if I should just go home.

My stress levels are already sky-high with the eviction, so petty women trying to stake their claim seems trivial, except it doesn't feel that way.

In fact, it hurts way more than it should at this point.

Why am I losing my head so quickly? Is it the hormones? Is it being forced to work with the man who's giving me a baby?

I know better than to get lovesick at my grown age, surely.

Just take a few deep breaths, Imogen.

In the distance, I see Vivienne smoking a cigarette with another woman, standing close to one another. If she and Jude are more than friends with benefits, she will be in my baby's life. They all will.

I never envisioned having to share my child, always assuming I would be in a stable relationship when it happened.

But nothing has quite gone to plan lately.

Taking a breath to calm myself, I decide to head back inside instead of going home to stew on my thoughts the rest of the night. It is what it is, and I need to cool the jets. Worse things happen.

Get a grip, Imogen.

"Don't you feel threatened by the receptionist Jude hired?" an unfamiliar voice says as I approach the entrance of the mansion.