14 - Jasmine

☆

☆.。.:*

I've heard it said that lies make the world turn. Though they're evil things – mostly – they keep us going. Searching for the truth is human nature, right? Lies are those things that are a somewhat necessary evil. If everyone would tell the truth, people would get hurt and bored so easily. Big lies are evil, so I'm not sure what this infamous 'they' think they're on about. I suppose lies like you're the baby's dad or about faithfulness are quite different to I've not got you anything for your birthday lies. Maybe they mean lies keep the world going because human beings are big arseholes who, no matter what, will do evil things and lie.

Either way, no one talks about the aftermath of finding out the truth. The moment in the dark where tears fall and the world feels like it's spinning beyond your control. It's when you're at the top of the roller coaster and the only way is down the god-awful steep decline where your stomach falls out of you and the puke threatens to come up.

I've always thought that it's not people that are evil, but their actions that make them evil. We're all human, we're all born, and we're all just blank slates until we're older and have our own thoughts and make our way in this world.

Is it our thoughts that make us evil? I don't think so. We all have that initial thought of evil, but it's what we do with those thoughts that make us bad or good. Thoughts are the very foundations of everything: they can build shelter or they can create weapons and destroy. What we make with that foundation is everything. It's the difference between I want you back and I want you back, so I'm going to pretend you're my baby's dad after I cheated on you.

It's also the difference between I love you and I love you, so no one else can have you.

Thoughts and love make or break a person. With both Josh and Abby, they both broke them and turned them sour.

"Hey," I whisper. August stirs a little from where he's resting against my shoulder. The tears are still staining his cheeks from the shock, so I wipe them away. "She's gone now, okay? It's done."

He laughs ever so lightly. "You sound like the end of The Lord of the Rings film."

I snort. "Well, if you wanna go down that route, I suppose it's like the One Ring, right? She's been thrown and now we have to get off the bloody mountain."

August sits up properly. "You've watched the extended versions, right?"

I arch an eyebrow. "Stupid question, because those are the only versions."

"Yep, definitely believe in soulmates now." He wipes his face before adjusting his glasses. "I'm sorry—"

"Don't apologise. I should be the one apologising; before she came over, I was believing what she said. Almost like a silent girl code moment. I don't know, whatever. I'm sorry I ever thought that," I whisper.