55. The Show Must Go On - 5

"Rio!!"

Muffled voices dance around my confused mind as I try to open my eyes to no avail, feeling a headache pounding in my skull like a hammer. Sucking in a breath at the deep pain, I start coughing as my lungs get clogged with the dust surrounding me.

This seems to give off where I'm at, as I hear steps running towards me as I keep trying to catch my breath in between my constant coughing. I feel some of the rubble being lifted from my body which I didn't even notice that was there, too focused on my pounding headache.

"Shit, there you are." A deep voice curses, and I finally get to open my eyes -not without being blinded with Hell's red light and cursing as it worsens my headache-, and see Husk trying to help me sit up.

Once I'm steady in his grip, one of his hands holding the small of my back as to make myself upright, I notice a horrified look in his face.

"Husk? What's wrong?" I ask, frowning upon hearing the sound of my strained voice. I suck in a breath as my head's pounding worsens as I'm sitting upright.

The cat doesn't answer my question, instead trying to look everywhere but towards me as he falters. I feel my chest sink at his nervousness.

"Who else died?" I ask scarily and he flinches at this, finally looking back at me.

"No!! No, no one died, it's just..." He sighs, and I can feel the tension in his shoulders as he holds me as softly as possible while steadying me up straight.

"Then what is it? You okay?" I push him, trying not to panic but he's much too silent for my liking.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"What about Angel?"

"He's alright, lookin' for his pet pig."

"Vaggie, Charlie? Cherri?"

"They're all okay, Rio. That's not the matter." He bites his lip, his ears pinning to the back of his head nervously.

"Then just drop the news! You're freaking me out, old man." I say loudly while panicking, my voice sounding raspy and strained.

"It's..." The sound of steps cut him off as I look up to see Angel's gaping face.

"Rio, your horn." The spider's voice shakes as he approaches me, upper arms reaching out for me as the other two hug Fat Nuggets close to himself.

"What?" He throws himself on the ground, Husk giving him space as he kneels in front of me. He reaches out slowly as to not startle me, then holds my face as softly as possible, frowning deeply with his golden tooth standing out in his cute pout.
"Angel, what's wrong? I-"

I'm taken aback as he moves one of his hands from my cheeks up to my horns, grazing its base with a featherly touch but somehow it stings as I've just been shot, my headache beating soundly at the touch. My whole skull feels as if someone just hit it with a fucking baseball bat, making me recoil back from Angel's touch and let out a pained and too goat-like for my liking sound.

"Fuck!! I'm sorry! I- I didn't mean to-" He starts apologising frantically and I hold my hand out in a stopping motion while breathing heavily. Both of my friends patiently wait for my pain to lessen with concerned faces, and I sigh as it finally does.

"Well how funny is this?" I say sarcastically, sighing and looking up at both of them.
"Let's just... Find the rest. I'll take care of this later." I dismiss, though finally noticing the matted patch on my hair around my left horn, dripping with red blood and the green highlights of my broken horn.

Both Husk and Angel agree with me, though we reluctant and worried faces as they help me up, waiting for me to steady on my shaking legs. My headache worsens with me standing, but I pay it no mind as the three of us walk to the rest of our friend group.