Prologue

Life was never, ever fair. I held my small, beautiful dragonet in my arms. She had small, scales of white, running down her back. But she wouldn't open her eyes. We feared she had died in her egg. And she was rushed to and from nursery and nursery, but she would never budge.

I crouched by her side every night, hoping for a gift. And it finally came. My nose filled with smoke as the morning came once again. I opened my eyes, expecting my baby by my side. She was gone. I jumped up with fear, followed by a jolt of anger.

𝘞𝘏𝘖 𝘋𝘈𝘙𝘌 𝘚𝘛𝘌𝘈𝘓 𝘔𝘠 𝘊𝘏𝘐𝘓𝘋?

I ran from my tight sleeping cave, fury coursing through my veins. I would find out who did this, no matter the cost. As I drifted from door to door, I saw drowsy dragons who where confused, scared, until I came to the nursing cave at last, to see my beautiful baby girl. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY DRAGONET?!" I didn't give it a second thought as I sunk my talons into one of the nurses long, slender necks. She closed her eyes, and screamed a yelp of pain.

"Ma.. Mama?"

My heart dropped. I turned all my attention to the nurses holding my child with faces of fear, and I loosened my grip on my nurses neck. "Oh moons.." I took her in my arms. She had wonderful eyes of amber. Like treasure gold. I turned my face to the nurses. "I.. thank you. She's so.. beautiful.

---------

I spent the next afternoon wrapping cold, wet leaves I had found from outside the volcano around the nurse I Impaled's neck. I also spent a lot of time cleaning after the nurses for the commotion i caused. [Which was fair], But i finally had my dragonet, my daughter, and I was so lucky to call her that.

I had named her Secretholder. It had been my grandmother's name, and she was my favorite person. My mother never took good care of me, but my grandmother would catch me fish, and goat, and we would eat together. She was the closest I ever had to a mom.

Over the next few years, I spent my time teaching my daughter how to hunt, how to speak, and now she loved learning. She would run to me, saying "what are we learning today?" And I loved teaching her. Her father had left before she was born. He needed to deal with issues in the Sandwing kingdom, and he passed away fighting for what was right. He had splotches of white in his scales, that Secretholder inherited. Wonderful white splotches.

But why is this so important? Because I knew I didn't have much time left. I felt ill and light headed, and began to fall asleep early. When I would wake up the next morning, dragons would run franticly to me with Secretholder in hand saying she ran away to them. I feared this would happen. But no matter what, dead or alive, I would protect her.

So I spent as much time as possible with her, teaching her, hunting with her, and being as much as a mom as I could before my time ran out. I didn't want to leave her like my mother did. I would find slates of rock and write her stories about a dragon who died and got reincarnated as a free, beautiful butterfly, and about dragons who invented life changing things, to cheer her on. I hoped she would remember these moments when I was gone and cherish them.

I held her carefully in my grasp as I knew something was happening to me. I was losing air. It was an incurable disease as stated by the nurses. So I held her in my arms as I began to fade in and out of reality, and my body went numb, and cold. my head, them my arms, and finally, I had passed on.

--------

A combination of different things ran through my head as I walked into Sightseer's sleeping cave. First, was fear. Then, sadness. And very lastly, Acceptance. When i entered, I saw Secretholder in her mother's arms. An emotion of empathy rushed through me as a separated the two. A dead mother, and a poor, poor dragonet. Part of me wanted to keep them there together, but it was against nightwing laws. I watched the dragonet slowly rise, and fall as she slept peacefully in my talons. I carried her to the nursery.

The nurses always planned this out, but it had never happened before. A dragon has to be at least six years old before living without their parents. Secretholder had only been four, Meaning unless the nursery could find anyone, she would live in the nursery.

"What now Powercarver? "Truthspeaker, one of the nurses asked. I looked up at him. "well, lets let her sleep a little longer before we tell her. Her mother just passed away, at least let her rest. A head poked through the door, looked side to side, and carefully walked in. It was Mastermind. "ehem... The nightwing queen is having a meeting. She would like the inhabitants of the nightwing kingdom to join her.." I stared at him a second longer. "Thank you for telling us, Mastermind." But why would the queen want a meeting this early in the morning?

Me, and the other nurses lay Secretholder on a cool, stone mat with magma sitting underneath, acting as a warming pad. We then quietly stepped out of the nursery. We stepped into a crowded, hot room stuffed with nightwings of all colors, and shapes and sizes. Not shortly after, Greatness, and many nightwing guards stepped out with her. She began with a beginning statement. 

She carefully put her head up to the rocky screen, and stared back at the large crowd. "The queen has spoken. We are aware that the prophecy dragonets have hatched. It is our plan to destroy those brats. They are ruining our plan for when the time is right, and we strike. Nightwing tribe, I declare we will kill them or die trying." Large uproar rung in my ears, and I covered them. But I was surprised to see dragons celebrating. We were.. going to aim towards the dragonets of the prophecy.

------

Word count: 1050 [not counting a/n]

A/N Hello lovely people!! This is the longest thing I've written for a fanfic! I've thought of these characters for a while lol TYSM for reading:]