Prologue

It's the near end of math class.

sniff

"Okay everybody, pull out a piece of paper for today's exit ticket."

Archer Wright twists a pencil in his hand, with his head uncomfortably sat on the cold, wooden desk in front of him.

boring.

He stares at the clock as if giving it the stink eye will make it go any faster. It actually seems like it's going slower.

ugh...  Archer lets out a loud sigh.

As he sits around and does nothing, others around him get ready for this exit ticket.

The teacher notices, with another sigh. "Archer, put your head up and start working."

He does not prop his head up, but he does start scribbling on the paper in front of him. Which is some improvement. However, he doesn't want to be interrupted again, so he reaches in his pocket for his earbuds.

He feels around for a second.

Gum wrapper, pocket lint. Empty.

They're not there.

And now he's painfully reminded that his earbuds were lost, today in 1st period.

Archer wants to know what happened. There's some possibilities.

The most likely being somebody probably stole them.

Considering crime rates have been going up recently in the neighborhood, It does make sense. His mom watches a lot of news so he's well informed on these things. No matter what station, KGN, ABC, GMA,  Local, World news, it's always on when he's back home. Honestly, He wishes it wasn't. He wants his mom to lessen her worries.. It's giving her white hair.

sniff. sniff. cough

Archer peeks over his shoulder to see this ghastly guy. He's totally pale.

He's in all of his morning classes and has been hacking all noon. Still hasn't asked to go to the health room. It's been making it hard for Archer to pay attention, even if he wasn't in the first place. In all means, he can't pay attention to staring into the black void of his arms.

"Now, for the exit ti-"

cough, cough, COUGH

"..Ticket, I'd like you to answe" "COUGH COUGH  eugh... sniff." This sick guy makes a loud, wet sniffle, wiping his nose with his sleeve.

The teacher is finally at their last straw. "Max, do you want me to send you to the health room? I didn't say anything because you didn't ask, but.."

"I..I'd like to use the bathroom. I'm fine..SNIFF  teacher. thank you."

"Ok, go." a loud screech of a chair can be heard from the side of Archer, presumably the classmate getting up.

The guy really tries to make his exit loud, slamming the door behind him.

No longer quiet, people beside Archer start talking.

"What was up with that guy.."

"I don't know... he shouldn't be here, though."

"Archer, what do you think? You've been quiet all this time, what's up?"

Some random dude calls his name, Archer sits up.

He turns his chair to face the two chatting. "Oh, I'm just tired. He looked pretty bad, worst case for him he only gets an ice packet. Hey, did I tell you? My airpods got stolen, and I'm so pissed.."

The two classmates look at each other, and Person 1 shrugs. "That sucks, dude. Hopefully that guy is okay, even though I've never talked to him."

"Having your airpods stolen? Couldn't be me." Person 2 snickers.

Archer turns his attention to number 2 who spoke this unsympathetic foolishness. He rolls his eyes and smirks. "Couldn't be me, my ass. Check your pockets later."

Person 2 snorts. The teacher loudly shushes him.

"... I'm broke anyways."

=

Exit ticket finished, and now everybody is turning their stuff in, getting their backpacks on and up. 5 minutes left.

Archer stands beside a vent, hot air being blown on his feet.

"I wonder what's for lunch today." He swoons, feeling a bit fuzzy from this blissful warmth.

A girl beside him smiles. "Oh yeah! I hope it's tacos. It's Thursday, right?"

Archer and some others talk near the back, far away from the door. For the majority, It's a comfortable place to settle because most vents in this class were placed over here. It's currently April, and the chipper cold isn't going away until sometime around May.

"I hope no-"

SLAM!

The door swings open, the hinge creaking loud and violent. Conversations cut off, everyone turns.

It's the sick guy. Archer thought he would've already abandoned class. His face is covered in water, probably splashed his face in the bathroom, and his undereyes are puffy.

"Oh shit, he's crying!" One guy says, an observation.

Instantly, The teacher rushes to the door, present alarm on their face.

"He looks like he came straight outta a beach thriller. Like Jaws." the girl beside him points out. Archer gives an exaggerated frown.

"Max? Are you alright?"

"Cough, cough.."  Probably not.

While this plays out, the bell rings for lunch.

Max proceeds to cling onto the door for support, water dripping off his bangs.

"At least get out of the way.. It's lunch and I wanna eat, bro." a spectator commentates.

"Forreal. So dramatic."

Archer holds the straps of his backpack, not feeling the need to inject himself into this conversation. Everybody stares at the coughing student while he clutches his chest. Max whips his head around, looking almost panicked.

He closes the door behind him shakily, talking to nobody.

He crouches on the ground.

As this unfolds, the room is silent and their teacher is hovering over Max, expressing concern. The teacher tries to make eye contact for assistance. Everyone looks away.

Max proceeds to throw up on the teacher's shoes.

Hi! This is the first time I've posted any type of book

Hi! This is the first time I've posted any type of book. I'm pretty invested in writing this, so I hope you like it so far.

This book writes in mostly a 3rd person limited pov, mainly focusing on Archer, or the other main characters. (You'll see)

-- Thoughts on the chapter?

-- What's your favorite school subject?

-- If you had to pick, would you rather be blind or deaf? (Just curious)