4

i was walking to school, stopping to say hello to a few people who opened their shops right in the morning

i was walking to school, stopping to say hello to a few people who opened their shops right in the morning. i liked to wake up early and get started with my day earlier. i would get all my things down when i wake up so i could skate in the afternoon.

"y/n!" i turned around when i heard my name and saw oikawa standing on the other side of the street with iwaizumi next to him. oikawa looked both ways before walking across the street to meet up with me.

iwaizumi didn't follow him and i wasn't sure why. "good morning." i greeted oikawa when he reached my side.

"good morning!" he seemed bubbly in the morning. "iwaizumi should be catching up to us in a moment." he looked over his shoulder to where iwaizumi was standing. "hey, i was looking up some events at the ice rink. you have a competition in a few weeks?"

"yeah, a few months really." i answered, trying not to think about it because if i did, i would stress myself out. "i try not to think about it too much." i admitted to him and noticed iwaizumi crossing the street and walking over to us.

"hey y/n." he handed me a small plastic bag. i took it from him and looked inside, finding three bottles of milk inside of it. "those are all for you. i got these two." he held a bottle out for oikawa before opening his own bottle.

"thanks." i grabbed a bottle and opened it while carrying the plastic bag in my other hand. the three of us began walking to school while keeping up small conversation. to my own surprise, i liked talking to them.

"i'm going to go to class." oikawa said when we reached school. me and iwaizumi said bye to him before we were left to walk on our own.

"are you going to the rink later today?" he asked me while we walked up the stairs to where our classrooms were.

"yeah, i have to. my coach is coming too and she wants to see me practice." i told him. my coach slid in and out of the city, so she relied and trusted me to practice and get myself better for when she was in the city. "you?"

"i have hockey practice after school." he said and stretched his arms over his head. i looked over at him and then looked down at the people around us. people were looking over at us and whispering in their friends ears when they saw us walk by.

i guess it was something interesting to some people. i was pretty well known in the school as a competitive figure skater and iwaizumi was the co-captain of our school's hockey team. the two of us worked through primary and secondary school to get our names well known so we could carry it onto university. i'm sure there was going to be a few rumors here and there, but i would be more surprised if there weren't any.

we had big reputations in this school.

"are you going to stop by the rink at night again?" our school had a small ice skating rink for the hockey team. only hockey players were allowed to skate in the school rink though and they had hours of operation, that was a strict rule. which is why i had to go to the community skating rink.

"you gonna miss me if i don't?" he teased and i rolled my eyes at the flirty line.

"no, so i can go home before you show up." i shot back and stopped walking when he did at the top of the staircase. iwaizumi grinned at my comment and leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets.

"i'll be there." he said and kept his eyes on me from where i was leaning against the railing of the stairs across from him. "probably after i eat dinner. how long do you plan to stay?"

"long." i usually stayed at the rink until i was absolutely exhausted and burnt out on the days my coach came by, but he didn't need to know that. "late into the night."

"gonna go right after school ends?"

"right after school ends." i nodded in confirmation.

"should i bring you a snack? or maybe a water bottle so you don't pass out on the ice?" he asked me. "cause i'd rather see your sassy self skating on the ice and not sprawled out on the ice."

"i'm not sassy." i crossed my arms and denied his statement.

"you're sassy." he said firmly. "at least to me you are."

"yeah cause you knocked me over and kicked my poor foot." i knew iwaizumi didn't feel bad about it anymore because of the amused look on his face.

"oh your poor, poor foot." he mused. "how will you ever live?"

i have to admit, joking around with someone like this was fun. i have friends in my class, but they're more of school friends and not friends that i can talk to whenever i needed something or just wanted to talk.

my whole life is revolved around ice skating and it's been like that ever since i was a kid. i didn't have a social life and any little love life i could get were stolen kisses in the back of someone's car or in closets in the ice rink.

i didn't have a best friend, childhood friend, and certainly didn't have time for a love life.

but talking and joking with someone like oikawa and iwaizumi this morning felt nice, but i knew there were going to be another pair of friends that were going to end up just being school friends. even if i tried harder, i wouldn't have the time.

"i think i'll have a limp for months." if i really had a limp for months, that would be my worst nightmare.

"i'll buy you a wheelchair or would you prefer crutches?"

"i prefer walking on two uninjured feet, please and thank you. i think if i ever sit with you at a table, i'm going to keep my legs crossed and on the seat. the floor is too risky with you and your kicks." i shifted the bag with milk inside of it and decided to save one of them for the girl i think that i was friends with in class and one for lunch.

"i'll just sit next to you." he resolved the problem quickly and i raised my eyebrows at his sentence. in both ways, someone could take it as a friendly thing and someone could also take it as a flirty thing.

if this was any other guy, i would've flirted back in exchange for a few kisses and make out sessions. but this was iwaizumi and for some reason, i didn't want to flirt with him. it just felt wrong compared to other guys i used to flirt with.

those guys were looking for the same thing i was and we were all no strings attached. however, with iwaizumi i didn't know what he wanted.

and deep inside, i wanted to be his friend.