7

"i think im gonna die

"i think im gonna die." makki groaned and laid down flat on the ice. oikawa, mattsun, and i were staring at him like this was just another day.

we were the oldest ones on our team and usually stayed in the rink longer while the younger ones went home once practice ended.

"get off the ice." i threw my hockey puck over to makki, hitting him in the ass. makki slapped his arm in the air behind him like he was trying to deflect any more pucks.

"it's comfortable down here."

"and dirty." oikawa added and skated around makki. mattsun was on the other side of makki and passed the puck over to oikawa. the two of them were basically playing monkey in the middle while their monkey was motionless.

i went out to grab my water bottle and picked up my phone while i drank. when i tapped on the screen, the wallpaper that showed up was not mine.

i realized i picked up the wrong phone and was about to put the phone down before i remembered something.

"she was in my class last year. we're still sorta friends. i have her number so we text from time to time."

"makki, what's your password?" i shouted out to the guy still sprawled out on the ice. i had his phone in my hand so might as well be nosy and get something for myself.

"0987." he called out and i quickly tapped the numbers on the screen, unlocking his phone. i went to his contacts and typed in y/n's name, quickly finding it.

i smiled to myself before unlocking my phone and copying the number down. "thanks." i said to makki before calling y/n's number.

will she be annoyed? probably. but will i care? absolutely not.

i dont know what was up with this girl, but i found myself enjoying being in her company and bothering the hell out of her. her reactions were something i found myself seeking out.

"hello?" y/n's voice came through the phone and i dropped makki's phone before i answered.

"hey stranger. what kind of trouble you into today?" i greeted her and sat down in one of the chairs nearby.

"how did you get my number?" y/n already sounded annoyed with me. "you creep."

"makki gave it to me." that wasn't a lie because it came from his phone, so technically he did give it to me.

"so you didn't go look in the school office and through my personal information?" the sound of a door opening came from her end.

"thanks for the idea." i heard her huff before i heard another door open. "where are you?"

"surprising a creep like you doesn't know where i am." she didn't have a joking tone in her voice, but i knew she was joking. i've been on the opposite end of her sarcasm enough to know.

"haha, very funny. i don't have time to sit around and watch you through cameras. i'm at hockey practice right now."

"i'm at the ice rink." my head snapped over to the entrance of the ice rink, but i realized this was the school's ice rink and not the community rink. "you turned your head didn't you?"

"now who's the creep?"

"i have to go skate." she told me and i heard her opening a locker which meant she was going to hang up on me.

"come skate in our rink." i offered, probably surprising her and sort of surprising myself.

"i can't. that rink is for you and there's a time limit over there." she said which was something i was supposed to know.

"right." i kept wanting to talk to her because our conversations were always quite entertaining. our small banter.

"i have to go." she told me.

"remember to take breaks." i reminded her and i could just imagine the eye roll she just rolled. "don't be stubborn or else i'll go over there and make your stubborn ass take a break."

"okay, okay. didn't know i had a new coach." she sighed. "do you want me to log the minutes of my break for you and show you proof tomorrow?"

"smartass."

"bye!" she said loudly into the speaker before hanging up. i turned off my phone after that and looked up at my three teammates who looked quite bored.

that's when an idea hit me.

~~~

thirty minutes later, somehow we ended up in our community skating rink. "this is where you go when we're not allowed in our rink?" mattsun asked when we walked inside. "everyday after practice?"

we were all in the lobby and walking towards the rink. makki stopped by a vending machine nearby, declaring that he was absolutely famished.

"yeah, for extra skating." i told them and pushed open the door to the rink. i quickly saw y/n in the middle of the rink doing her usual spins and jumps.

there was no one else here so her music was playing on the speakers. oikawa and mattsun stood on the sides and watched her while i walked over to turn down the music.

y/n turned her head over to me the second the music volume was lowered. she seemed slightly surprised to see me there and then she looked fully surprised when she noticed mattsun and oikawa.

"what are you guys doing here?" she did a turn and skated over to us, looking back and forth between me and the other two. "is makki here too?"

"he's out getting snacks for himself." oikawa answered and took a few steps closer to the rink. mattsun sat down and started to put his skates on, not wasting any time. i sat down and followed his actions, wanting to get out onto the ice.

"how come you guys aren't at your ice rink?" she asked us and leaned against the side of the rink. her eyes flitted over to me before looking back to mattsun who opened his mouth to answer. 

"we decided to just skate here instead of skating for a bit there and then having to move." i cut in before he could rat me out. mattsun and oikawa both looked over to me and oikawa had his eyebrows raised.

"yeah, that's the reason." mattsun drawled and continued to tie his laces. i grabbed my ice skates and put them on my feet before tying them quickly, but carefully. oikawa looked behind him and us and did the same thing.

"how long are you guys going to stay here?" y/n questioned while watching the three of us put and laced our skates.

"as long as you." i answered and her eyes returned to me. "so, spare us and let us go home before midnight tonight." the corner of her mouth lifted up before she turned her back on us and skated out onto the rink.

"maybe, if you bring me a milk tomorrow."