Into the Great Wide Open - Chapter 4

Sunday morning, June 7, 1992,  Atlanta, GA

"Thanks for hanging out," Leah said as she stretched out in her seat at Gate B27. She smiled at her father.

Brett, still tired at 6:30 am in the morning, tried to focus on everything happening. He knew he'd be back at the Hatfield-Jackson  in 48 hours, flying to Houston. He smiled over the coffee he'd been nursing.

"No problem, sweetheart," he said, wrapping his left arm around her and giving her a tight squeeze. "Have fun with your cousins, okay? And don't give your aunt too much trouble."

"Me, cause trouble?" Leah said, feigning disbelief at her father's comment. "I'm actually excited," she admitted. "I'm looking forward to seeing Bonnie on happier terms and on her home turf. Most of the times they came down to visit over the last few years, it was always here."

"Yeah, well, your mom and Trevor were always close," Brett explained. "Growing up, his mom always missed the south and would come down whenever she could, bringing Trevor with her. Rumor is she has never loved farm life, even though that's why they moved to Wisconsin years ago."

"And then when he met and married Betty, your mother and her became fast friends," he continued. "Despite their different lives, they stayed close. As Bonnie was year behind you, they used to send clothes and things back and forth between you girls whenever they came down. ... I'm glad you're all still close," he added.

"Yeah, I've only been to Wisconsin once, I think I was six," Leah said. "you came too. I remember playing in the loft of Grandpa Eaton's barn and a giant, mean monster turkey."

"Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten about that turkey!" Brett exclaimed. "You're right, it was a mean SOB. 

"Yeah, well, from what I hear, you might end up working at one of the family businesses," Brett said. "The Becks have been around there for a long time and have their hands in a lot of things."

An announcement came over the intercom. "Good morning, folks," a voice said. "This is an announcement that we will soon begin pre-boarding for flight 182, non-stop to Chicago, from Gate B27. Any passengers traveling with small children, children traveling alone, our VIP and first-class passengers, or those needing extra time to board, please come to the gate now. After that, we will begin boarding starting at the rear of the aircraft."

Leah checked her boarding pass - 9F. She began gathering her things, pulling out the book Denise had recommended for the trip, "Outlander." Denise had said it was a beautiful love story. In her Walkman, a mix tape played her favorites by R.E.M., The Cure, Morrissey, U2, and even a little Paula Abdul. Her country mixtape was also on hand in her side pouch.

Standing up, Leah looked back at her dad. "I love you and I'm going to miss you," she said.

"I'll miss you too," he replied. "I'll keep you posted on what's going on in Houston." Leah looked away when he mentioned Houston. "I know you're not happy with me about that, but please know I'm trying to do the best for all of us."

"I know," Leah said, hugging her father tightly as she heart burned at the future that awaited.

"Now boarding rows 8-15, please make your way to the jetway to board," the announcement came through the intercom.

Brett held her close, his eyes welling up a little as he looked into her beautiful blue eyes. "Till your love holds me again," he said.

With a pang in her heart at his words, Leah whispered back, "Till your love holds me again. I love you. I'll call you when we land."

"Thank you, and I love you. Be safe," he said, letting go and watching her walk towards the boarding line.

"I will," she called back, handing her boarding pass to the flight attendant and boarding the plane.