Against All Odds - Chapter 9

Monday, June 8, 1992, Bass Lake, Wisconsin

"Leah, are you about ready to go?" asked Bonnie as she fixed her top and took another glance in the mirror on her desk.

"Yeah, almost ready," said Leah as she looked back through her luggage, getting her bag ready for the day. "No swimming today, right?"

"No, not today. I need to drop off some supplies for my grandma at the Diner, and we can grab lunch."

"What are we dropping off?" Leah wondered.

"I'm not sure. Grandma called Mom earlier, and whatever it is, Mom said she left a note in the garage," said Bonnie.

"Do we need to take Joe?" asked Leah.

"No, Joe's staying here. He normally avoids the diner because he gets put to work by my grandma," said Bonnie, laughing as she headed out of her bedroom door and down the staircase.

As they opened the garage, they saw her mom's note of the supply list. Bonnie began loading the boxes of styrofoam cups and lids into the car before they headed from Waukesha to Bass Lake.

"So, how far are you all from the lake?" asked Leah.

"Like 20 to 30 minutes," said Bonnie. "Not too far, but far enough. I wouldn't want to live where my cousins do; my grandma has them practically live there," Bonnie said as they drove down the old county trunk until their turn onto Bass Lake Road.

Bonnie pulled the Ford behind the diner. They unloaded the boxes, and as they were heading toward the back door, Clara swung it open and called out to her granddaughter.

"Saw you pull up. Thank you for bringing these over, Bonnie, and Leah, I hardly recognize you," said Clara as she took the box and set it upon the storage shelf. "Come here, child, let me give you a hug. I haven't seen you since you were here with your.." as Clara caught herself mid sentence.

"It's okay, Mrs. Beck. Mom always loved seeing you all when they came up here back in the 70s."

"How are you doing, dear?" asked Clara, looking at the young girl with warm eyes.

"As good as I can, I guess. Some days it's still tough," she said, looking away.

"I'm sure they are, dear. I'm sure they are," said Clara, giving her a tight hug. As she let her go, she looked at her granddaughter and asked, "So what are you ladies up to today?"

"Well, I wanted to show Leah the beach, grab some lunch, and stop by Aunt Ingrid at the farm if she was up to it," said Bonnie.

"Probably not today, Bonnie. Your Aunt is in town with the younger boys, and Rusty and Caleb are busy inside. You know, it's the lunch crowd," said Clara.

Clara looked at the broad smile on Leah's face as she talked. "What are you smiling at, sweetheart? You don't have many Minnesotans in Georgia?"

"No, we don't. I forgot how much I loved it," said Leah.

"Well, dear, I will say with your pretty face and the sweet southern accent, if you hang around the beach, you'll make some friends and feel right at home in no time," said Clara before turning her attention to her granddaughter. "Actually, speaking of "friends", Bonnie, that handsome Stanton boy is back in town and is at the beach today with his cousins."

Leah cocked an eye at her cousin, who gave her an "I'll explain in a minute" look.

"Here for the next two months, per Lucy. I recall you two were pretty good friends last summer," said Clara.

Bonnie's eyes lit up. "Jake's here already," she said with a smile. "He wrote me that he was coming up this weekend, but I hadn't heard from him yet."

"Wrote you now, did he?" Clara said with a knowing smile. "Well, go over and say hello, dear. Then you all can come back and get a bit to eat."