Chapter 2

That's how we became a family without even having a chance to celebrate. Even Lucellai's jet-black hair and my light silver hair didn't make us look like a family at all.

Ah, I guess you could say our eye shapes are similar. Although Lucellai is not my biological mother, she still fed me and raised me with her money.

The problem is that the power will not appear until I become an adult, but I became nervous as the time for my power to manifest soon came.

It would be nice if I could escape before that, but it was close to impossible. Lucellai had a reliable person who supported her, Sir Shubart, who will surely find me.

Although Sir Shubart loves my mother dearly, he remains an acquaintance of my mother. Even from my point of view, Lucellai is a seductively beautiful person.
Her black hair doesn't get tangled even in the harsh winter wind, and her eyes aren't bloody like mine but purple like ripe grapes.
Her nose bridge was high, and her lips plump, making her look little fierce.
Perhaps because we are in the North, her skin looked white and glowing, further enhancing her beauty.

She had arrogant and dignified eyes, which didn't show any hesitation. I would flinch in surprise when she spoke with her commandingly sharp voice, just like what happened now.

Sir Shubart, who loves her, would find me a million times easier than my attempt to escape, so it was impossible for me to escape.
Moreover, I have a desire to bring her to the right path if I can. Likable or not, she is still my mother. Even the piece of meat on my plate is half a span bigger than the meat on her plate.
Lucellai Rudbihi.

No matter this or that, she is my one and only guardian.

"Carbella Rudbihi."

"Yes?"

"Don't laugh stupidly while we're eating."

"...yes."

'It's true.'

Instantly
Even though it looks like this, she cares a lot about me.
That's just the way she expressed it.

"Mother, are you already full?"

"Eat it."

"Yes."

Lucellai put her knife and fork on the plate, but she didn't get up from her seat. It was because I hadn't finished eating yet. Even though it would be my coming of age soon, she didn't let me eat alone as long as she was around. Instead, she doesn't let go of her wine until I finish eating.
It was like that almost every day.

Sometimes she brings a pipe too.
Silence fell again.

The only sound in the dining room was the sound of me slicing and eating. The sound of wind whistling outside could occasionally be heard too.

It had been a long time since my mother's gaze turned to the window where winter could be seen at a glance.

I don't leave the windows open often. This is because there are not one or two things to be wary of. But my mother's gaze is always there when I open the window like now.
The silence continued until my meal was over.

* * *

As soon as I finished eating, I hurried to get ready to go out.
"Mother, I'll go out for a while and come back."
"It's cold. Don't go out."

Actually, I didn't mean to ask for permission, but my mother immediately rejected it as soon as I mentioned it.
"The delivery man is late again. I have to go order firewood. Otherwise, the stove will turn off. I have to warn them this time."
Now the North was in the middle of a harsh winter.