Total eclipse

'Well, this is it.' Catnap thought to himself as he looked in the mirror. 'Today's the big day.'
He was wearing a beautiful dark blue moon themed dress, with a flower crown made of sunflowers.

Today is the day that he and his soulmate Dogday were finally getting married.

Weddings worked a bit differently in the smiling valley than they did in the human world. Instead of just talking and staring at each other, it involved a magic union spell.

When two smiling critters wanted to marry, they place their pendants on top of one another, and sing about how much they love each other to activate the spell and bind them together for eternity. The pendants would then glow magically and produce the rings the couple will wear to signify their marriage.
It's all very cheesy.
(they don't actually have to dress up or anything, they just can if they want to, and Day and Nap of course did.)

But Catnap was pretty nervous about the whole situation.

Mostly because he CAN'T sing.
Or even hum. It hurts his throat too much.

And he hadn't told Day about that yet.

He hadn't even considered the issue until after they'd gotten engaged. The night that the sun proposed to the moon, Nap had almost immediately said yes. He didn't need any time at all.
However it wasn't until later that night when they were cuddling he remembered the rules of marriage in smiling valley, and his heart shattered.

Of course he wanted to marry Dogday, but he didn't know how he could if he couldn't sing...

He sighs, looking in the mirror. "What am I gonna do?"

*mirror fade out then fade into the moment of the wedding*

Finally, the moment had arrived.

Here Catnap was, under the same tree he'd first confessed to Dogday that he loved him, standing in front of the one he loved so dearly.

Dogday was wearing a gorgeous yellow sun-themed dress, and a flower crown made of lavender.

All their friends were standing by, watching, and waiting for them to activate the spell (none of them dressed up because they couldn't convince hoppy or Kicken to lol.)

Dogday gives him a gentle smile, taking off his sun pendant.

"You ready, Naps?"

Catnap breathes heavily, nodding.

He takes off his moon pendant, shaking.

Dogday places his on the ground, and Catnap slowly places his on top.

Day then takes Nap's hands gently. "So, ready to sing with me?"

Nap's stomach fills with ice.

"Uh... about that..." he whispered.
He looks down, murmuring something Day can't hear.

Day tilts his head. "What was that?"

Catnap takes a deep breath before looking solemnly into day's eyes.

"I... I can't sing..."

He quietly admits, tearing up.

"I-I'm so sorry... my throat hurts too much..."

Catnap silently cries for a moment.

Day then gently takes his face in his hands.

"Hey, hey, baby, it's okay..."

He gently looks into Catnap's eyes.

"You don't have to sing."
He says with a gentle smile.

Nap freezes. "What...?"

Day giggles a bit. "You don't have to sing, Nap." he says. "You can whisper the lines, and the spell will still work, if singing is too painful."

Catnap cries more, hugging him.
"Thank 1006..." he whispers. "I-I was afraid I couldn't marry you..."

Day giggles. "Silly kitty." he says, kissing his head gently. "Even if it didn't work, I'd still wanna be with you..."

Nap buries his face in day's shoulder. "Thank you... thank you..." he whimpers. "I love you so much..."

Day nuzzles him. "You're welcome, nappy." He says gently. "I love you too."

When Catnap calmed down and stopped crying, he took Day's hands again.
"Ok, I'm ready." he whispers.

Day nods, then clears his throat.

"Every now and then, I get a little bit lonely that you're never coming around..."
He says to start.

Catnap smiles.

"Every now and then, I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears..."
He whispers.

Day closes his eyes.

"Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that all the best years have gone by..."

Nap closes his eyes too.

"Every now and then I get a little bit terrified, and then I see the look in your eyes..."

They both open their eyes.

"Every now and then I fall apart..."
They say at the same time.

"Every now and then I fall apart!"

Catnap's eyes shone with a lavender glow.

"And I need you now, tonight..."

Day's eyes glistened with a sunbeam orange.

"And I need you more than ever..."

The pendants began to glow.

"And if you'll only hold me tight..."

Nap moves to wrap his arms around day, hugging him tightly again.

"We'll be holding on forever."

The two embrace as they watch their pendants glow together, a perfect eclipse.

When the light faded, sure enough, there were two rings.
A purple one with a crescent moon engraving, and an orange one with a sunshine engraving.

Day picks up the rings.
"You mind if I-" he says, putting a hand out. Nap nods and takes it.

Day smiles. "I, Dog Day, take you, Cat Nap, as my husband. To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, as long as we both shall live." He says happily, placing the ring on his finger.

Nap smiles and looks at it for a second before looking day in the eye.

"S-same for you, my love." he whispers. "S-sorry my throat s-still hurts." he says, placing the purple ring on Day's finger.

Day smiles. "I don't care if you're loud or quiet or even silent forever... you'll always be my moon."

He then tackle-kisses catnap on the lips, causing their other friends to clap and cheer for them.

There was nothing they could say. It was a total eclipse of their hearts.