04 || four

27th July
Mumbai, India

Shivani hummed, staring at her cellphone as she typed away, a smile on her face. She'd missed her best friends back in London and it felt so good to finally be able to talk to them again. She'd been busy and exhausted with everything in her family: the strange letter, her parents' annual puja on their death anniversary and now, the welcome back party for her Jiju.

"Vani?" Aruna smiled at Shivani, who shut her cellphone and turned to look at her great-grandmother with a smile.

"Ji, PN?" Shivani nodded.

"We're here," Aruna inclined her head towards the bank, which they stood right outside of.

"Oh, so we are," Shivani nodded. "Thanks, Mohan Bhaiya," she smiled at her brother's manager, who nodded.

"Do you need me to come with you two?" Mohan volunteered.

"No," Shivani rolled her eyes fondly. "Why are you and Shivaansh Bhaiya always so tense?" She grinned cheekily, "Your client is the one with a million screaming fans, not me."

"Chale?" Aruna interjected, a corner of her lips curved upwards in amusement.

Shivani nodded and the two stepped out. Shivani guided her great-grandmother towards the bank, greeting the woman who took care of their finances—— Shweta Bose.

"Shweta Aunty," Shivani hugged Shweta tightly. "Aap kaise ho?"

"I'm fine, kiddo," Shweta smiled, placing a hand on the back of Shivani's head. "Look at you, my child. You're all grown up!" Tears lined Shweta's eyes as she stared at the little girl she'd seen in Annika's arms, a few weeks after the naamkaran ceremony.

"Pretty bhi hoon, hain na?" Shivani flipped her hair, faking a haughty look. "Ow, PN!" She whined as Aruna twisted her ear. With a pout, she rubbed her reddened ear, before turning to face Shweta. "Aunty, we need to collect the jewelleries that M-Mom," her voice faltered. Shweta's eyes softened as she smiled sympathetically.

Shivani swallowed—— she'd never used the word in her life to address the woman she knew to be her mother. On rare instances, she'd used the words: Maa and Papa.

Her brother had memories with both their parents, but she had none.

"Annika and Shivaay set aside some jewellery for each of the kids, either to wear on their weddings, or for their wives to wear," Aruna placed a hand on Shivani's arm and squeezed reassuringly, taking over the conversation.

"Ah, right," Shweta nodded. "Annika and Shivaay Jiju entrusted me with those," she smiled, placing a hand on Shivani's cheek. "I'll bring them for you. Who is getting married?"

"Radhika Di," Shivani replied.

"Radhika is getting married?!" Shweta gasped. "That's wonderful! Oh my! She was merely three the last time I saw her, I believe," Shweta wiped away the lone tear which rolled down her cheek. "Oh, time flies."

"Yes," Aruna smiled sadly. "It does, indeed."

"Wait here," Shweta smiled. "The vault is underground. I'll go and fetch Radhika's share." She frowned, "Her shares are the only ones needed, I presume?"

"Indeed," Shivani nodded. "I cannot imagine having to wear five kilograms of gold!" She shuddered.

"Chup kar, idiot," Aruna slapped the back of Shivani's head lightly, prompting the young girl to pout.

"Dhruv nahi hain, toh aap mujhe torture kar rahe ho," Shivani huffed out indignantly.

"Dramebaaz," Aruna muttered, with a fond smile and a shake of her head.