Chapter 4 The Extraordinary In The Ordinary

Brian leans against the steel railing of the fire escape, surrounded by lingering figures draped in fantastical glowing neon clothes. A small blue light orb spins lazily around his wrist before bouncing off seemingly nothing. A smirk curves his lips beneath the black motorcycle helmet.

"Ever wanted to be a hero?" he asks, turning to face the group.

A man in a red trenchcoat, his silver hair gleaming, scoffs. "What, like Overwatch?"

"Exactly."

The man shakes his head. "Respect what they did, but I'd chicken out in a real battle."

Brian's smirk fades as he mulls this over, removing one hand from the guardrail. "You know, I met an Overwatch member recently. Former member, I mean."

Another snicker ripples through the group. "Yeah, so did I when I was eleven. One came to school to lecture us on cyber safety."

Rolling his eyes, Brian presses on. "Not like that. This was different, more...personal. We talked about life and stuff."

The silver-haired man hops up to sit on the railing, back to the rain-soaked London skyline. "Lucky you. My dad says most of the old Overwatch crew are dead now. I bet you met one of the hot ones, eh?" He elbows Brian with a suggestive wink.

A flush creeps up Brian's cheeks as he shakes his head quickly. "We'd met before, but reconnecting recently...I dunno, they seemed to get me, you know? Like they'd been where I am."

His eyes narrow. "Since you chose this place, I can guess who it was. Did you get your answer?"

After a momentary hesitation, Brian nods firmly. Planting his hands on the railing, he vaults up to stand atop the thin metal beam, staring out over the city.

"I want to do something," he declares. "Chase a bigger purpose."

The trenchcoated man grins slyly. "Just don't get too caught up chasing girls, Bri."

Brian returns the smile. "Don't think I'll see her again to be honest."

With that, he steps off the railing. The ground rushes up—then stops abruptly as Brian begins to float, hovering a few feet above the concrete.

"Never say never," the man calls up with a wink.

Bobbing gently, Brian simply turns and drifts off, face tilted towards the setting sun.

Brian pulled off his black headset, placing it on the desk. Rising from his chair, he wiped away the marks left by the headset clasping against his face. He grabbed his phone and scrolled mindlessly through the news feed, not really searching for anything in particular. It had become an instinct.

Pulling on a jacket from the hook, Brian headed out. He snatched his wallet from the kitchen counter and stepped outside in a rush.

At the intersection, Brian slowed his pace to match an elderly couple crossing the road - a man with a cane and who Brian assumed was his wife. He offered them a smile before parting ways. The familiar aroma of sugar and dough wafted through the air.

The path transitioned from hard concrete to a soft, gravelly trail winding through ancient trees enveloping him in their embrace. The crisp air filled Brian with a sense of contentment as he followed the enticing scent.

Rounding a pond, he paused before an omnic statue raising its hand. The beautiful piece, standing tall above the tree line, imbued Brian with a feeling of determination - another piece of natural beauty.

He found the source of the aroma - a small tent with a camping oven and a pot of hot oil bubbling above it. The cook dropped in some dough, and Brian watched as metal tongs flipped the pastries until they turned a golden brown.