Chapter 12 Family And Friends

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Hana's point of View

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Hana leans back in her chair, stretching her arms out like a cat. Her baggy t-shirt hangs off her thin form as the chair creaks slightly, her back popping. "The Stream has now stopped," displays on her computer monitor. With a press of a key, her virtual model freezes, and Hana lets out a sigh of relief, rising to her feet.

She jolts as the electric feeling of pins and needles shoots up her sleeping leg, causing an awkward shuffle towards the kitchen. Hopping up the small stair, the tingling sensation in her nerves disappears as she rounds the near-empty kitchen. A set of knives sits untouched in a spotless block. Hana cracks a smile, looking to a large rack of gleaming pans. "Let's get cooking."

Her socked feet pad across the tile as she moves to the fridge, swinging the door open. The cool air brushes her face as she scans the shelves, biting her lip. With a nod, she grabs a cluster of vegetables - vibrant bell peppers, a plump eggplant, and a bundle of green onions. Placing them on the counter, she reaches for a cutting board and one of the pristine knives.

As the blade slices through the first pepper, Hana's shoulders relax. The rhythmic chopping, the crunch of the knife against the wooden board, it's meditative. Her mind wanders as she dices the veggies

Hana leaned against the metal guard railing, her eyes locked onto the two figures clashing in the training room. The salty ocean air of Gibraltar brought a cool breeze, making her shiver in her blue and white battle suit. A shower of sparks flew through the air as a metal blade made contact with a compound bow. The swordsman jumped back as a wave of shuriken flew towards the archer, who raised his bow, three arrows notched. Each arrow firing deflected the shuriken, pressing onward.

Hana gawked as the arrows seemed to change direction mid-air, all raining down on the ninja. Before they could strike, the silver-colored warrior swung a small blade hung at his waist, slicing the arrows into pieces. Hana jumped back as shards flew towards her. In a green flash, the arrows vanished. The swordsman crouched on the railing, crushed arrow shafts in his metal hand, the shards of arrowheads dropping harmlessly to the ground.

"I am sorry for the trouble," he spoke briefly.

Hana shook her head. "No, thank you for the save."

The swordsman nodded, turning back to the archer, who didn't meet Hana's eyes before walking away to another part of the base.

"What's his deal?" Hana questioned.

"He is... adjusting," the shinobi replied. "I must go. Heiwa ni ikimashou."

"You too." Hana gave a faint smile as the swordsman paused, bowed, then dropped off the railing, disappearing into a hallway.

"I see you met my brothers." Hana turned to see a girl in a red beanie, white t-shirt, and crimson hoodie tied around her waist over black jeans approach, arms resting casually behind her head.

"They're your brothers?"

"Well, we were raised as siblings..."

"They're brothers, but my mom was their combat instructor, so we've been close since we were kids." The girl leaned back against the railing, arms crossed. "I'm your all's new medic - Kiriko."

She spoke rapidly, and Hana studied her - the red beanie, the casual t-shirt and hoodie. "You're our new doctor?"

Kiriko raised a hand to her face. "I know, right? I look way too young and fresh-faced to be a stuffy old doctor." She flashed a confident smile. "Angela's got you beat, sis."