Chapter 9 Fire

"What did you think about the play, Brian?" Chloe asks, her gaze shifting from the now-closed scarlet curtain to the young man beside her.

Brian's eyes remain fixed on the spot where the velvet drapes had concealed the stage. His hands are clasped tightly together, thumbs rubbing absently against his palms. "The dancing, the music..." he responds absentmindedly, his voice barely above a whisper. "It was a good show."

Chloe leans in slightly, her expression hopeful. "It was breathtaking, wasn't it?"

Brian finally meets her gaze, nodding curtly. "It was." He rubs at his brow, glancing back towards the booth's opulent furnishings. "It was nice to meet you, ma'am, but I think I should be getting home. It's late."

As Brian moves to stand, Chloe's hand reaches out, giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "There will be a dance after the show," she offers, a thin smile playing at her lips. "Perhaps you'd like to attend? Even if just for a bit."

Brian feels a flutter of butterflies in his stomach, his throat tightening at the invitation. He hesitates, considering her offer, before giving a quick nod. "Yeah, sure. Maybe just for a bit."

As the two make their way towards the ornate ballroom, Brian's eyes are immediately drawn upwards to the magnificent chandelier floating effortlessly in the air. The telltale V carved into the gold-coated frame reveals it to be a Vishkar Corporation product, the hard light candles flickering softly.

"Why don't you look around a bit?" Chloe suggests, gesturing to the lavishly decorated space. "Maybe dance a little, or pick at some of the expensive finger food on the tables."

Brian scans the room, his breath coming a bit shallow as he surveys the well-dressed crowd. He sighs, glancing off towards a table set with a shimmering champagne fountain, the white tablecloth pristine.

"You're leaving?" he asks, a hint of disappointment in his voice.

"Just going to visit my friend," Chloe replies. "Maybe I could introduce you two?"

Brian raises a hand, offering a small smile. "Sure, I'll just wait over there."

With a reassuring wave, Chloe departs, leaving the curious young man to explore the opulent ballroom on his own. Brian shuffles towards the champagne table, his eye taking in the colors of the various paintings on the walls. Though initially overwhelmed by the grandeur, a sense of familiarity begins to arise as classical music began to be played.

As he stands amid the lavish surroundings, Brian can't help but feel a bit out of place. His eyes darted from art piece to piece of furniture hesitant to fully intermingle in the elegant crowd. But the allure of the slow waltzing dancers and the promise of exotic foods holds a certain appeal for the young man.

Brian's eyes slowly drift up from the tile floor as Chloe returns, her voice calling out. But the moment his gaze lands on the woman beside her, he freezes, every muscle in his body tensing.

Staring into a pair of familiar hazel eyes, Brian feels the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. The glass in his right hand tightens to the point of nearly cracking under his white-knuckled grip, his posture rigid as adrenaline surges through his veins.

There is a profound recognition in those hazel eyes, a mirrored worry and unease that instantly sets Brian on edge. The woman's expression remains neutral, but her gaze grows clouded.

Instinctively, Brian sticks out his hand, his arm extended in a gesture of greeting. waiting for the woman to take it.

Amelie's face changes, and she jumps slightly as the hand approaches her. Brian scans her expression, noting the worry that creeps into the corners of her mouth, her eyes darting away before making tentative eye contact with him.