Jasmine

2 years later.

As I watched the wine flow gracefully from bottle to glass, the server stood patiently by, awaiting my next request. "Thank you," I said dismissively, mustering a small smile despite the heavy weight on my mind. The server nodded in acknowledgment and retreated, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Leaning back in my chair, I downed the liquor in one swift gulp, feeling the fiery sensation course down my throat. The glass now empty, I debated whether to summon the waiter for the fourth time. He's probably sick of me, I thought bitterly.

But then again, so is my dad.

That's why I find myself in his grand mansion, surrounded by opulence and extravagance, attempting to win his favor at yet another lavish event. In short, I need a new car. I've taken the initiative to apply for a job at a boutique downtown, but it's a good 20 kilometers from my apartment. Walking there simply isn't an option.

Would it kill him to spare me a bit of his time?

With newfound determination, I rose from my seat, resolved to seek out the man who shares my DNA. My heart raced as I navigated the crowded rooms, scanning faces in search of my elusive father.And then, amidst the sea of guests, I spotted him, head thrown back in laughter.

I took a deep breath and marched towards where he stood. When he saw me approaching, my father gave me a soft smile. "Jasmine, cariño," he greeted, pulling me into a warm hug. "Congratulations my graduate." He whispered in my ear.

Did I forget to mention I graduated today?

Oopsie

University drove me crazy but hey, I survived.  If it were up to me, I wouldn't even have gone to college.

Say what you will about him being a powerful drug lord, but my dad gives the best hugs.

Stepping back from his embrace, I glanced at the man standing beside him.He looked oddly familiar.

"Jasmine, you remember Mr. Romanov," my father said answering my lingering question, and I nodded slowly in response. Truth be told, I'd never met him, but I knew his son all too well.

Mr. Romanov extended his hand for a handshake, and I reciprocated the gesture. As I studied him closely, the resemblance to Julio was uncanny.

My father had once decided it was time for me to settle down, so he played matchmaker and introduced me to Julio Romanov. Sure, Julio had all the qualities one could ask for—sweet, gentle, built like a god, and let's just say, the sex was amazing. But that was where it ended.I never felt anything beyond physical attraction, and settling down wasn't even on my radar yet. I still had plenty of exploring to do, if you catch my drift.

But it seemed my dad was eager to fast-track the wedding bells, and I wasn't ready for that. I quickly refocused on why I was here and pushed aside any distractions. I'd deal with that later.

Turning back to my father, I flashed him one of my sweetest smiles, the kind that usually got me whatever I wanted. "Can I talk to you, Dad?"

"What is it, cariño?" he replied, oblivious to my desire for a private conversation. I wanted to discuss this alone, but oh well.

"I need a car," I stated matter-of-factly.

"You have a car," he reminded me.

"Not exactly," I laughed nervously, sensing his impending disapproval. Before he could start yelling, I interjected, "I need a new car."

"What are re you talking about?"

"Well—"

"Ai yai yai, mi cariño. It hasn't even been a year since I got you one," he exclaimed, his frustration evident as he ran a hand through his hair.