Chapter 1: New Nighbor?

DogDay woke up as the early morning sunlight streamed through his curtains. He lightly shivered as his house was slightly cold. He got up and shook his fur loose as it can get matted and bunches up as he slept.

As he walked down the hallway towards the stairs he looked at his thermostat and turned on the heater. He made sure that it wasn't turned on super high, he just needed his dog house to warm up a little bit.

He walked downstairs and grabbed some bread and made some toast. He grabbed a jar of peanut butter and spread it a long his toast. As he munched on his toast he made himself some coffee.

As it brewed he looked out his window and saw the new house that was built nearly three weeks ago. The lights were always off and there was no movement coming from inside of the house.

The girls all assumed that it was another girl since the house was built like a giant cat tower. Then again when the neighborhood was new and it was only DogDay, CraftyCorn, and HoppyHopscotch; the two girls though that Kicken was going to be a girl because his house was shaped like a chicken coop. They were disappointed sure, but Hoppy was happy to have someone to somewhat butt heads with.

DogDay's ears perked up when he heard a beep. He turned to see that his coffee was ready. He poured himself a cup and fixed it to his liking.

He walked outside to sip on his coffee for a little bit. He looked around to see who was awake.

He saw Bobby taking pictures of the sunrise from certain angles. Crafty was painting a picture of the nearby forest. Picky was tending to her garden. No one else was up and about.

"Good morning, DogDay." He heard Bobby greet him

He waved to her, "Morning."

She giggled, "For someone who gets up early you are always so sleepy."

"Yeah I know. If I don't get up early, I'll sleep till noon. And then I'll be up all night practically." He told her downing the rest of his coffee

She took a picture of him drinking the rest of his coffee and then left. He will never understand her obsession with taking pictures.

He walked back into his house and washed the very few dishes that he used from this morning and last night.

As he was washing his dishes he noticed that the girls had headed inside. Crafty had sat her new painting on her balcony to dry. A few fruits and vegetables were missing from Picky's garden.

As he was turning away from his window he saw a taxi driver up and someone got out. They were standing in front of the new house for a moment then rushed inside making sure not to slam the door.

DogDay smiled to himself, time to welcome the new neighbor.

He had formed a habit of being the first person to welcome the newcomer. When  Bobby had arrived he had accidentally spoken over both Hoppy and Bubba. He had apologized to both of them profusely and even asked if there was anything he could do to make it up to the two... Well three since he came off as rude to Bobby as well.

He went upstairs and into his closet and pulled out a box. He checked the contents inside and smiled. He went back down and made his way outside.

It wasn't that far of a walk to the new house for him. He made it there in about five minutes or so.

He knocked and waited for an answer. He heard shuffling from inside and then the door opened just a little bit.

"Hello there, I'm DogDay. I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the neighborhood." He held the gift out to the newcomer, "This is for you."

The door opened up a bit more and DogDay will saw he was surprised when a long purple tail wrapped around the present and brought it inside.

Before DogDay could say anything else the door closed.

Anyone else probably would've been offended, but not DogDay. He knew that some people could be shy or simply not very talkative.

He started to walk away when a piece of paper slid under the door. The handwriting was messy and looked rushed.

'Thank you. My name is CatNap.'

He smiled even more, "It's nice to meet you CatNap." He walked away heading back to his own home to clean up a bit before the day had officially started.

...

It had been a few hours and the neighborhood was awake and active. Hoppy and Kicken were planning on doing a few stunts for everyone to see. Picky was making lunch for everyone and was busy putting together everything. Bobby and Crafty were arguing again about how either painting or photography was better then the other. Bubba and DogDay was trying to defuse the situation and keep the peace.

The argument was coming to a close the the two settled on agreeing to disagree.

"Has anyone moved in yet?" Bubba asked looking at the cat tower

"Oh right. I forgot to tell you guys. They moved in, their name is CatNap." DogDay told them

"And you didn't tell us until now!" Bobby shouted

"Their shy Bobby. They didn't even say a word to me when I gave them their gift. They just wrote on a piece of paper." DogDay explained

"The could be mute." Bubba pointed out

"That's true." DogDay looked at the house and caught CatNap peeking out of the window on the first floor

"I wonder what scent they will have." Crafty squealed

"I was planning on asking them if they wanna join the picnic." DogDay mentioned

"That's perfect." They turned to see Picky, "I was going to ask them myself, but you can do it for me DogDay."

"You saw me didn't you." He smiled at her

"Of course." She giggled, "Now get going while we go and get the others."

DogDay playfully rolled his eyes and headed towards the cat tower, "Let's just hope the poor thing doesn't get too overwhelmed by Hoppy and Kicken." He muttered to himself